Chuck Martin should get an extension

Chuck deserves and will receive a healthy raise/contract extension this offseason. Only chance he doesn’t is if another program comes calling and he wants another challenge.

5 Likes

I just can’t agree with this one. The Toledo injury is nowhere near the same as the Kentucky injury. Giving the ball to your best player on the two-yard line in a one-score game against the other top team in the conference is totally normal stuff, even if you can make a case that the call should have been something else.

11 Likes

thechuck- I understand your point and we will have to agree to disagree. BTW I think our best player for that call was Amos who BTW scored a TD on the next play or AV ( or any of our running backs ).

2 Likes

In the Toledo game if Brett’s injury would have been a re-injuring of one of his previous injuries I might agree it was a poor call. But it was some big honkin Toledo lineman (I would guess) falling on his leg. This could have happened while dropping back to pass and getting sacked and we wouldn’t be complaining. Or maybe running for his life out of the pocket, which he’s often done a great job of. He was essentially running a qb sneak and got hurt. Sometimes injuries happen
My nephew at UC had two non-contact ACL’s (one really bad) that ended his career. He was a 230 pound linebacker and in great football shape. Played BBall in highschool. Great athlete and hard to explain. Again, sometimes injurie happen.
Should Coach maybe-probably had a few more meaningful snaps for A.S. before he went in? Probably. Should A.S.'s backup maybe-probably have had a few more snaps in one or two of our games? Yea!
Is that the reason we dont extend Coach? No way. We’ve almost all had our issues with him but results are way better than any of his predecessors and almost every MAC coach out there now.

QT? Would your rather have five more years of Martin or throw our name into the ring, hope we find the next Cradle capable coach and hope for someone better?

7 Likes

Every coach is going to have some things that they do that can be legitimately criticized. Every coach. Chuck is a better coach now than he was when he came here, and probably will continue to get better. Not everybody can change and adjust what they do over time. I also think somewhere along the line he realized what great guys he was working with and fell in love with that part of the job. I think he has come to realize that living in Oxford and coaching at Miami is a lot less pressure and a lot more fun than most of those high pressure job. He is also, I think the highest paid university employee and probably one of the top paid people in Oxford, that makes life pretty good here. I have never talked with him about any of this, but this is what I see.
I expect him to be here a long time into the future, like a Charlie Coles for example. He also likes being able to involve his son with our program, something which would likely not be possible at a higher profile place.

5 Likes

That’s not true, we’ve only been bowl eligible 7 of 10 years (not in 14, 15 or 17). Eligible but no bowl in 18. 2020 is a weird case. We were 2-1 but that year the NCAA said anyone with any record could play in a bowl. So I’d really say 6 out of 9 years.

1 Like

I think CM has earned a contract extension. There was a legitimate case to be made that if this season went poorly then he should be fired. But instead this has been a great year. He’s shown he can win a MAC championship, bowl game, P5 games, OOC games in general, and potentially now what should be a double digit win season. That’s worthy of an extension.

I don’t see a need to just hand him a raise but certainly if he can negotiate for one, good for him/his agent.

5 Likes

I would imagine he’s on a shortlist for say Syracuse. Maybe even a few other bigger opps. He’s proven he can rebuild a program and run it well. Get him a raise!

1 Like

Agreed…above as i mentioned incentive based, add or increase bonuses.

Chuck took a significant pay CUT from Notre Dame ( as a coordinator) to come to Miami as HC,remember? He obviously likes the opportunity and Miami.

This is NOT the time to get cheap.He should get a significant raise and extension now, within Miami’s capability.
You don’t want to get in a pissing contest with power conferences who pay coordinators $1.5 million plus and head coaches way more.

3 Likes

I would imagine two things would have to happen for an extension with a significant raise.

1. Sayler would have to push for it (likely)
  2. Sayler would have to find some supporter to fund it. I think Miami is still in a bad spot with finances and I doubt he could get a meaningful raise from the regular budget
5 Likes

This was a make or break year for Chuck. He and the team have had a great year so far. Give him a raise/extension and have some really nice bonuses for certain achievements like NY6 or playoff game gets 50K and a win gets 100K…. Etc.
Also, need to allow him more $$ for hiring assistants/retaining assistants.

I agree with prior post that starting all over is with potential uncertainty and maybe more costs in today’s market. Maybe Chuck could be a long time coach for us which is something we have never really been used to having.
Think these long tenured coaches…Carm Cozza (Yale), Fisher DeBerry (USAFA), Chris Ault (Nevada), Gary Patterson (TCU), Lavell Edward’s (BYU), Herb Deromedi (CMU), Bill Yeoman (Houston), Troy Calhoun (USAFA), Jeff Monken (ARMY), etc.

1 Like

Also, with any turnover of a coach, there is potentially the loss of many players and new recruits to the portal or other programs…

We could potentially have stability with a long term coach that wants to be here. I have to agree with others on this site, that at times (many times), I have been very frustrated with some of the things he has done in games. However, he has really grown as a coach and learned. We will lose him at some point just because we pay him one of the lowest salaries in FBS.

Does the institution want to be in the “hunt” for consistent championships and the new playoff or be an “also ran?”

We could still finish 9-5. Let’s evaluate this situation after the season. Given his overall body of work, I just don’t see Chuck getting any offers to leave.

2 Likes

If it were my decision, I would not extend until after AT LEAST one more win.

2 Likes

8 of 10,years bowl eligible.

NO Players academically Ineligible. NONE.

NO players in trouble with the law ( 1 exception involving an unruly fraternity, situation is debatable).

Has the Portal figured out.

Lock CM down for another 10 years like the above.

Happy Thanksgiving,I’m out.:football::turkey:

4 Likes

Tim Murphy at Harvard, too…left the job at UC and has been with the Crimson about 30 years.

3 Likes

Not sure about a 10 year lock down. An extension of two years is probably far more appropriate. We don’t have Texas A&M’s deep pockets for a buyout if things go wrong. This is the only the second season we could call a home run.

1 Like

Let’s not forget the nice run Frank Solich had at OU….one thing he or the OU AD did was commit to a less murderous OOC schedule just about every year enabling Solich to basically enter conference play at 3-1 versus what CM had to deal with which was essentially a 1-3 behind the 8- ball entering conference play….and needing 5 wins to achieve bowl eligibility.

5 Likes

Would like to see a nice finish to the season before officially granted an extension, but yes he’s earned it (and a nice raise) given how we’ve broken through. I’m not sure how long his current contract is, but I’d extend him through 2027/28 with a pretty large buyout the next two years. That protects us and gives a nice chunk of cash if he succeeds enough to get hired away, but keeps us from being on the hook for too long in case we regress and need to make a change.