Chuck Martin should get an extension

Personally I think Chuck has done a great job at Miami especially with what he inherited and believe he is due for a long term contract extension and significant pay raise. He has been at Miami since 2014 and I THINK has held the position of head coach at Miami longer than any other head coach.

As the Group of 5 vs The Power 5 conferences widen gap of dollars spent it will only get more difficult to beat The Power conference teams. Miami beating Power 5 teams regularly like they did in the 70s, 80s, 90s, will happen once every 2-3 years.

Chuck could easly go take a Power 5 coordinator position and make $1.5 mil+.

He has to be getting calls from other programs as a HC, DC or OC especially after this year.

According to USA today he is currently #116 in pay Highest Paid College Football Coaches & Salaries - USA TODAY

He deserves a nice bump in pay and contract extension for the product on the field.

12 Likes

And off the field,too! Clean Program!

4 Likes

I donā€™t disagree ā€¦but I think just bonus, as far as I see no one is calling on Chuck, and he seems to like his gig.

2 Likes

Maybe heā€™ll get the Colorado OC job. He is the antithesis of Sean Lewis, after all.

Kidding. Except for the part about being the antithesis of Lewis because a) Chuckā€™s offense is the total opposite of what Lewis runs and b) Chuck has actually won meaningful games.

100% agree. It took him a little while to figure it out, but he has built the program into a consistent MAC winner and potentially a top tier G5 program. Not sure what more would be a realistic expectation for a program with our resources. Stability is important for long term success. Extend Chuck!

1 Like

I was told this year that Chuck has not had a single ineligible player in all his seasons at Miami, really impressive when you consider that Miami does not give grades to athletes or create special easy classes for athletes. Plus look what has happened to basketball the last couple of seasons with far fewer players. It means that he is not taking chances on giving scholarships to talented but academically risky players.

Also, the only bad publicity for behaviour, police issues, etc. that I can recall was when some freshman players got into a fight with a fraternity several years ago. It is a really impressive record when you put it all together.

One other thing, at the womenā€™s basketball game Saturday, Chuck was there. At halftime Grumpy went out to get a coke and Chuck was in line in front of Grumpy and two students were in line in front of Chuck and he bought their cokes for them. I mentioned that to a couple of other fans and one of them close to the football program said that Chuck does stuff like that all the time.

11 Likes

1 Like

:100:

1 Like

Agreed. Chuck has taken his share of criticism on this board, but heā€™s helped turn us into a top-tier MAC football program again. Respect to him and his staff. And of course to the players that have chosen to represent Miami with Love and Honor.

2 Likes

I think heā€™s earned an extension and a raise based on what heā€™s accomplished this year. This was a critical year for his tenure and he had his team ready to perform. It was the season weā€™d been waiting for since he took the job.

By all accounts, the ā€˜24 recruiting class is our best in years. An extension would send a positive message of continuity to that group.

4 Likes

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

3 Likes

The Steelers have already promoted one of the offensive assistants to OC.

Chuck has taken this program a long way since he became head coach. He has really done an outstanding job this season and I think he has earned an extension and a raise, or at least a bonus.

1 Like

His ability to put his QBs in injurious situations and his inability to develop QBs are a significant concern.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think anyone could argue that Gus Ragland didnā€™t maximize his talent while at Miami. Brett was playing at an All-MAC level before getting injured. So I donā€™t really buy that he hasnā€™t developed QBā€™s.

If people want to argue the injury thing, fine. I thought leaving Brett in against UK last year was dumb. I didnā€™t have a problem with his decision to call a QB draw from the 3 yard line against Toledo. Itā€™s not a dangerous play and Brett running had been a great weapon for us.

5 Likes

I think Chuck should stay and navigate Miami football through the whole NIL/Conference re-shuffling scenarios going through the NFL Minor Leagues, er, I mean College Football. Not to threadjack, but the sustainability of current conferences is not going to happen the way things are now ā€“ itā€™s do-able for football, but canā€™t be done for Olympics-type sports like gymnastics, swimming, wrestling, golf, lacrosse, etc.

I see ā€œcollegeā€ football becoming more of an EPL type system, and the Olympics-type sports reverting back to their more recent conference boundaries. And I think Chuck Martin is the right guy for Miami Football during a transition like that.

He definitely deserves an extension.
Eight of the ten years that he has been here we have been bowl eligible

4 Likes

True, nobody is perfect though. I have ranted a few times about this subject. Iā€™ve come to the humbling conclusion that CM knows more than I do.:joy:

1 Like

I am a bit conflicted on this subjectā€¦Chuck has done a number of things that confound me (playing Brett late against Kentucky, poor play calling and game planning, poor clock management, lack of development of back up QBā€™s in game situations when possible), but I would also agree heā€™s been a good recruiter and motivator, is very supportive of Miami athletics, and runs a clean program.

Given the realities of economics for G5 schools like Miami, at this point, he is certainly worth keeping, and if we need an bonus or some other incentive to make that happen, I am good w that. That said, would sure like to see a string of 8-9-10 wins seasons instead of the ā€œsteady dietā€ of 6-6 teams weā€™ve seen, well, at least until this year.

1 Like

The AD should wait until the end of the season. Lets see how the O play calling goes. Losing Brett cost us the Toledo game and may also factor into our last three games. He should never have been running between the tackles in the the Toledo game esp given his injury history Further a major mistake of not having O packages designed at the beginning of the year for AV including short yardage plays like the play where Brett got hurta major mistake. Additionally not giving back up QBā€™ s playing time including AV also a major errorā€¦ Further while we all are happy with 9-2 we need to keep in mind that we only beat two teams with a record above 500 this season - BG and OU. We have also played some very weak teams and while those Wā€™s certainly count our strength of schedule is low . To CMā€™s credit he and the staff recruit well, run a good academic program and no player misconduct issues. Game day coaching on the O side still , however, lacking and continual mistakes in this area have cost us 2/3 wins a year. If I am Saylor I would require as a condition of an extension at least semi autonomy for the O co-ordinator and his staff. Beat Ball State !

3 Likes