Buffalo Week

We have 3 home games with UC and one with Missouri on our schedules this decade. That is 4 power 5 home games.

1 Like

Indiana and Vanderbilt have not figured out how to keep from getting beat up over the conference season. Indiana’s season last year was totally destroyed by injuries.

2 Likes

About Shelton. The box score in the DDN today listed Shelton with 3 carries for 10 yards. So he played, unless that is a misprint. Did he get injured again during the game?

My point was that some programs are in a like situation to Miami but via their conference schedule. Indiana normally does not have the depth to recover from the rigors of a schedule that includes OSU, PSU and Michigan, Same for Vandy with Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. I feel that both programs have similar talent and depth to Miami. The reality of an FBS schedule is that most teams play several opponents that will take a toll on their roster.

He played, he was just not 100% going in…not sure if he got hurt, but he had at least one for 7 yards, then a screen pass that fell incomplete, could not tell if he came up a bit lame or just bummed about outcome…think he’ll be ready.

1 Like

I took the time to look at the facts of the last 10 years of OOC scheduling.

Average # of P5 games per season:

1. CMU - 2.4 (4 years with 3 P5 games)
  2. Kent St - 2.4 (4 years with 3 P5 games)
  3. WMU - 2.1 (1 year with 3 P5 games)
  4. BGSU - 2.0 (2 years with 3 P5 games)
  5. NIU - 2.0 (2 years with 3 P5 games)
  6. Akron - 1.7 (1 year with 3 P5 games)
  7. EMU - 1.5
  8. Ball St - 1.4
  9. OU - 1.4
  10. Miami - 1.3
  11. Buff - 1.2
  12. Toledo - 1.2

Average # of G5 games per season:

1. Miami - 1.8
  2. Toledo - 1.8
  3. Buff - 1.7
  4. EMU - 1.7
  5. Ball St - 1.6
  6. OU - 1.6
  7. Akron - 1.4
  8. BGSU - 1.1
  9. NIU - 1.0
  10. WMU - 0.9
  11. CMU - 0.6
  12. Kent St - 0.5

so we’re in the lowest quartile for average P5 games per season…we’re in the top quartile for average G5 games per season…we’re not 11th toughest chuck…facts matter

and i sure hope that no one is going to say that UC should be considered a P5 game over the past 10 OOC seasons.

chuck, you coach in a conference that gets almost 70% of its “revenue” from student fees…and you work for an institution that has one of the highest % amongst its conference peers.

DO NOT GO ON COMPLAINING ABOUT PLAYING TWO BUY GAMES IN A SEASON… your peers do it more and arguably better…

stop airing your dirty laundry publically…miami doesn’t do it this way…facts suck Chuck…

I guess it’s time for another email to both Chuck and Sayler to express my disappointment with the public face of Miami Football

4 Likes

Nes–I don’t have a problem with anything you said. But, with all due respect to Chuck, he can leave town anytime he feels he wants to. He continues to fail to recognize that playing P5 teams has been our history for decades. For many years, we were the only MAC team to play any power teams–and beat them. We made our brand not just with dominating the MAC for years, But also the Tomahawk wins. In my 53 yrs with Miami football, we made our brand beating Purdue, LSU in Death Valley, Ga, Fla, SC in succession,a ranked NC and Northwestern. And many more. Chuck is dismissive of this history. He would rather play another MAC game to allow us to play UT. But NOT to the exclusion of our P5 scheduled games. And Saylor must love being blamed/questioned by Chuck when he talks about money games cause injuries.
Do we get beat up sometimes? Yes. But Chuck’s failure to pull Brett late in the Kentucky game has done more harm to our team and our season than any P5 team we played. It is all on him. And he bitches about “big checks for big injuries”. Don’t recall any coach ever expressing this sentiment–over and over again…

2 Likes

HawkLBacker–Excellent. Coming from you it carries more credibility. Thanks for taking time to check stats. Makes the case very clearly.

Between Nescacdad, Dick, Eddie, Cincykid3, HawkLBacker, Jive Hawk and multiple others not in this particular thread that I could go on and on with it’s continually amazing the facts, history, back stories, events and color you all add to all your comments.

Kinda’ like Arnold Schwarzenegger in *Total Recall!.

Makes it fun to come back again and again. Keep it going. :clap: :clap: :clap:L+H!

4 Likes

To tell the truth, I think CM is every much a wild card eccentric in terms of being an FBS head coach as guys like Mike Leach or Lane Kiffin. The difference is he has not been as successful, albeit in a program with lesser resources than those two have had access to.

He’s created quite a portfolio of strange comments during his nine years at Miami, including his discounting the relevance of the Ohio game because there is no trophy involved, his comments about Ohio State having the first 87 picks at recess, and now these comments about our scheduling practices. It’s difficult as a fan - and perhaps as a university administrator - to tolerate the idiosyncrasies that lead to such public gaffes.

In terms of scheduling, Miami may have played a couple less P5 games than some of our MAC brethren but, we have played more Michigans, Ohio States and iowas than we’ve played Marylands, Rutgers or Kansas. Granted, Northwestern has always been our go-to P5 win - at 7-3 all-time.

And in spite of what some UC haters claim, we shouldn’t discount the power imbalance between Miami and the Bearcats that began when UC joined the Big East and became an AQ team. That’s when our competitiveness in the series began to wane. They began to publicly denigrate our program under Butch Jones and Brian Kelly and began establishing a solid recruiting advantage in Southwest Ohio and Northern Kentucky that continues today. They are now to the point where they’ve been playing as a top level P5 team for at least the past four years. To pretend otherwise is pure folly.

During the past several years, in all fairness, other MAC schools have stepped up their scheduling - with road games against Penn State, Texas A&M, Oregon, USC, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Auburn and even Alabama.

My first in-person Miami game was in 1964. That is almost 60 years ago. Our giant-killing era was largely in the first 40 years of that time period. The past twenty years, not so much.

1 Like

100% agree with Chuck. Let’s schedule to build a winning program.

2 Likes

Does anybody remember all the games vs Marshall, Army and Western Kentucky Chuck never won? Maybe he should handle his business before airing the Athletic Dept’s publicly. Comes off as excuses and small-time mindset.

Edit: not to mention never beating UC a time or two. I know they’re big, bad UC now but they’ve still put out some exceedingly mediocre teams.

5 Likes

What Chuck really misses in these discussions is that his predecessors at Miami that went on to greater glory with HC gigs in power conferences were mostly due to their success beating major opponents (not MAC conference foes).

Look back at Bill Mallory for example…he had a number of very capable 7-3 type Miami teams in the early 70’s but no MAC championships until he ran the table in 1973 and beat FLORIDA in the Tangerine Bowl. Boom,Colorado nabbed him! So, it’s Chuck’s loss if he refuses to care about these P5 win opportunities and prefers to whine about it.

P.S. …and nothing stokes the alumni and students like beating the likes of SEC and Big Ten teams!

3 Likes

Mallory also won at Tulane, Maryland, Purdue and South Carolina twice during the regular season…

2 Likes

Our schedule is fine, always has been. We play an OSU or Michigan every once in a while, generally we play lower P5 or G5 teams. UC has been a challenge lately, but I still think that is worth keeping. We could play hard ball and require a 1:1 home:away and UC might drop us, then we could turn them into a potential buy game in the future as one of the P5 games? Not sure how long B12 will be P5?

The last couple of yrs UK has gotten a lot better; in the past that would have been a better match up.

If we can afford it I guess we drop 2nd P5 and add a G5, but I would also drop FCS and replace with a G5 if we did that?

The standard, and I think now the preferred model - which we don’t follow - has become either 2 P5 (one top echelon and the other a Vanderbilt or Northwestern), a G5 and an FCS or 1 P5 buy game, an FCS and two G5 ( one home and one away).

1 Like

Your stats are bullshit. You are just going by a technicality and calling UC a G5 team instead of a P5 team even though they have been a top 25 program over the last 15 -20 years. We are talking about how tough the nonconference has been and if you actually want the truth and not just to win an argument, you need to count UC as a power conference program because that is how good their program has been over that period of time. That would put us at 2.3 P5 and 0.8 G5.

6 Likes

My challenge: I find myself inspired by both of these quality contributors: Dick and Hawk. This is why I’m an Independent in life beyond this forum (and I know I shouldn’t be talking politics here but it’s the truth.) I see real merit in both sides. Love you both. Let’s beat Buffalo!

2 Likes

The unfortunate thing about our scheduling is two things.

1. our schedule got out of whack and we ended up with 7 home games in 2020 and only one true P5 at Pitt. Well of course that was the covid year and we chose not to play OOC even though UC and Army did play

2. we signed the long term UC series when they were not a national power and not heading to the Big 12. They were good. But not what they are now

I would also say there is a big difference in who the power 5 is. northwestern is probably a good choice but WAY less money. Not even $1M

4 Likes

How much do we make versus a biggie? Ie: Bama?