Buffalo vs. Miami

Amos is a stud. Early on in the season, he looked like the thumper we haven’t had since Merriweather. But he’s also faster than Merriweather, so it’s been a loooong time since we’ve had a RB of his quality.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I’ve seen an offense that lame all year .

I was very pleased with AV and felt he grew stronger and more confident as the game progressed. CM will have to loosen the reigns if we are going to beat Toledo. We definitely can beat them with this team.

3 Likes

Yeah Ballcoach… it’s hard to believe in preparation for playing us, the Buffalo Coaching staff couldn’t have come up with something more imaginative than a constant stream of delayed quarterback runs up the middle followed by mostly poor passing on third and long.

1 Like

I thought Snyder looked above average last year. I’m not sure what happened up there this year…. They are awful on offense. Their defense is really good though.

1 Like

It was like watching the Don’t Treadwell Nightmare again.

Thanks for your service!

1 Like

Toledo vs BG the night before had almost 21K on a Tuesday night. It would be awesome if we could get more fans in the seats, especially students.

1 Like

Well said. Or as I once learned in a song many years ago “the highest praise beneath the sun!”

Good Morning HawkTalk, I was about to post my perspective on student attendance last night but I wanted time to try to compose my thoughts instead of railing against my fellow students. I am one of the few students that shows up to every game, gets rowdy, and tries to encourage others to have fun. (I care enough that I discovered this page which is a lot more than 99% of the studnet body, Ha!) I also do not fully understand the poor attitude the student body holds toward our sports teams. Last night I put a post onto YikYak which is an app many students on this campus use where you can post about anything and comment back completely anonymous. Therefore the information is usually accurate since there is no benefit to lying about your opinion anonymously. I made a post rehashing many of the points that have been made in this thread (0 support, OSU support, etc.) and here was some of the feedback:

1. Students find the gameplay boring. One person commented back to me on social media “sorry we don’t want to spend our Wednesday night watching a MAC team run an offense form the 1940s.”

2. I commented about how much everyone loves OSU and I asked why didn’t you go there instead. The response was “Probably shouldve went there”

3. “Our team is a joke theses aren’t the Woody Hayes days.”

4. “I was at the bar watchign the game and drinking liquor and watching the game is that ok?”

5. “If we wanted to watch football every week then we would ahve gone to OSU instead. We are at Miami becasue many of us do not care about football and we do not want to be like OSU in the first place.” (maybe the most telling post in my opinion)

6. “I had an exam to study for.” (so did I. I still make it to Yager.)

Folks I share your point of view that I desperately want more butts in the steats, or idealy more feet standing on the bleachers, but the fact is that the apathy runs deep on this campus and winning is not enough. Students today show up for the in-game experience more than the game itself and Miami has absolutely failed on that front. Even free money with Rodgers Rewards isn’t enough because all the studnts think watching our team is a snooze fest. It’s fun opponents like the UC basketball game that motivate people, and it is really hard to convince people that we are playing meaningfull football. I have been told before that “since we can’t compete for the college football playoff then our team is irrelevant.” Additionally, I am about to sound like someone yelling get off my lawn, but even at the beginning of the 2000s there we no smartphones, netflix, and other things gripping people’s attenditon like today. People our age do not have the attention span for a 3.5 hour game in the cold when we are addicted to instant gratification. Bigger schools have soemthign between every single paly to grip your attention. We do not. Finally, like I have alluded too this whole time, the answer I get the most is just “It’s boring” becasue if you do not have the atmosphere of an OSU or even a (gag) sUCks then you will not capture the casual students that are not invested in our team but may come for a good time.

Sorry about the 5 paragraph essay but I am very passionate about this topic and a I agree that its a travesty, but the fact of the matter is college football attendance is no longer about the game. It is about the atmosphere, hype, energy, and everything else surrounding the game. Unfortunately we don’t excel in these areas and as a result we will continue to only have the 200 most dedicated students show up to every game. And its not even just a Miami problem, because student attendance is fallign all over the country for many of the same reasons.

I will be finding a way to get up to Detroit. Beat UT.

19 Likes

Taking a shot at those who were not at the game for criticizing others who did not attend is “bull”. It is simply not a valid criticism.

I am a retired alum living two and a half hours away. I am not a candidate to be in attendance anywhere near as often as I once was. But, as a student I attended almost every home game, and I followed that up by being a season ticket holder for years and making the drive to Oxford to be in the stadium on gameday.

Attendance last night should have been several times what it was…period. The students should have been there in big numbers. So should alums in the area. The players who work so hard to represent the University deserve that.

Having said that I enjoyed last night’s game immensely. It has beem a great season! Now on to Muncie, Detroit and a warm weather bowl game!

2 Likes

My one-size-fits-all generalization certainly didn’t include you. Any student who shows up gets my full support and will have the memories later in life to remember. This is a special year. And when we win the title you’ll be glad you saw them in person.

4 Likes

Sounds like an excuse. 2.5 hours isn’t far at all.

The apathy of the students has been an issue for decades. Negging them isn’t working nor will it. It is amazing to me that a large chunk of these kids take no pride in the athletics of the place where they spend the 4-5 best years of their life. But what are you going to do? Good work, RedSuit, you’re one of the good ones.

6 Likes

I posted a comment late last night in response to Professor Fate that I thought might elicit at least some response. It hasn’t so far.

I am impressed with your continuing efforts to improve student body interest and by your commitment to attending the games yourself.

I live in coastal NC 40 miles north of Myrtle Beach. I’ve been a Miami football fan since I saw my first game at Band Day in 1964. I try to get back for games in Oxford at least every other year and I join the faithful on the road as much as possible. This season I flew to Miami and UMass and drove 9 hours each way to Athens. In my earlier days I used to attend games from Seattle on an annual basis.

I thought a couple of the responses you got were quite lame. Those implying Miami students aren’t interested in football and if they were would have attended Ohio State are a bit sophomoric considering how many Miami students we are aware of that drink the Buckeye Koolade.

I was amused by the response that said “Probably should have went there.” Based on their grammar, I agree with them.

Keep trying to rekindle the true Miami spirit! Maybe you can develop a Red Crew to take with you to Detroit to troll the Rockets. That would be entertaining!

Love & Honor!

1 Like

These students were there.

5 Likes

There are two ways to look at the sales of any organization: base and incremental support. Base is the number of fans you have if the team turned sucks, has no star players or coaches, removed promotional and marketing activity, etc. and were basically left with die-hards, parents, and the band (like 2013). Incremental is what happens when you win and do all those things, draw good home opponents, get alumni/students who don’t like sports a ton to show up because it’s ‘the event’, and so on (like 2003). Our base is withered from nearly two decades of bad football interspersed with two good seasons that were immediately followed by bad/mediocre play. When that’s the case on top of being in a tiny college town, playing in a G5 conference, and having an elite CFP contender and popular NFL team down the road to capture casual fans, it makes sense why things are why they are.

To jump off if Adam’s point, college football attendance is down nationwide and that includes student support. One good season with mostly uninteresting home opponents and a boring style of a football isn’t going to reverse those trends at Miami. The way you do is to keep winning, market season tickets heavily to anyone who went to at least one game this season, market one-game Saturday tickets heavily to alums who live within two hours of Oxford to get their foot in the door, and put together some interesting promotions to drive student support and begin building some culture around Miami football. We’ll never sell out Yager every game, but we can get close for games like UC and family weekend, make gains for other Saturday home games, and take baby steps to make MACtion weeknights look more like the 2016 Ball State game.

4 Likes

I enjoyed watching you at the Texas State basketball game. Very entertaining!

This! Times a million! It’s like if some of the busiest (by time constraints on their schedule) students on campus can make it, there is no excuse for the vast majority who don’t and could. These windows of success are rare and should be enjoyed!

2 Likes

THEY SHOULD BE WORKING ON THEIR FREE THROWS!!!

2 Likes

You win the board with this one! Good grief!

Boring is Akron, Kent and Buffalo. Boring is Washington State, who won their first four and then dropped six straight. Boring is FIU, UL Monroe or any of the other 30 odd teams that have been eliminated from bowl eligibility.

Miami is 9-2 and the MAC East Division champ. We’re heading to Detroit to play for the conference championship on national TV and then to a bowl game - accomplished partially without the services of our star QB, WR and TE.

We have an All American ST unit with the nation’s best kicker.

We have an eccentric coach who crams a minute’s worth of interview into 30 seconds.

We might be winning a bit ugly but we’re winning. And I’ll take than any day over what the other 30 are doing!

Love and Honor!

1 Like