Brett Gabbert

Sean Payton is out of work. When he was at Miami, even I was able to tell his offense was exceptional.

He played 5 games his sr year and got hurt.
But really. This is his third season on the team. I must disagree if you think that delayed his development. He played in '20 (very little). And has played in '21 and '22. He is what he is and it’s not going to change significantly.

1 Like

You may be right. I don’t know enough about him. Looks rusty to me though. Like, he can thread the needle on the third and a prayer but miss a simple slant? Just odd. Because the throw on the third looked legit. That said, experts at technique might see it differently.

For all that consistency, OU and Toledo have combined for as many MAC titles as Chuck Martin during Chuck’s tenure.

3 Likes

As I alluded to Chuck, not many good coaches in the MAC right now. At least not many winning consistently. I thought Sean Lewis might be the breakthrough, but he hasn’t been.

2 Likes

FFS if we have people ready to jump off of a bridge because our oft-injured 58.8% completion QB is graduating and going elsewhere then what the hell are we even doing here? Brett was a stable presence that was pretty good. Nothing more, nothing less. We’ll be fine.

FIRE KOEHLER.

9 Likes

Yes Koehler and/or who is responsible for offensive play calling must go BUT Brett may have been only in the 58% completion range but he had great success and had that success with play calling and game planning that had very little competence . He also showed great leadership. It is not just the incompetence in coaching Brett however- this staff has not improved the quality of Miami football in the last 4/5 years. We have not developed quality depth on the O Line , we are thin on D line depth, our pass defense is a static /frozen zone waiting for the opposing team QB to make a mistake (compare Ball State’s pass D -and virtually any other team - to our off the ball give them 5’10 yards esp on out routes, approach ), we have shown no ability or interest to develop a short/ medium pass oriented pass/ballcontrol offense despite the need to do so for AV, AJ and others, etc ( I and others on this site could. provide a great number of other major mistakes over the years by CM and some on his staff).This staff has not advanced the program forward- they do a good job recruiting, team chemistry, citizenship and academics but not on game day achievement. I and others on this site who have closely followed this program could show you mistake after mistake this staff has made in game day decisions over the last 9 years. This year’s objective stats speak for themselves- I have no interest in jumping off a bridge-see my above comments about the state of Miami football - I simply want to build a much stronger new bridge! Let’s start with building that new stronger bridge with a victory in the B Bowl with. a new coaching staff announced shortly thereafter.

3 Likes

Perhaps a silly question, will he be on the sidelines at the bowl game? Any way there are exemptions for his to play in the game and still have 2 years left since this is not the regular season? I know, a really crazy question.

I would be very surprised if he even makes the trip to Nassau.

1. Jack Sorenson made Brett look better than he is

2. Brett was 1-3 this year as starter

3. Aveon Smith has the potential to be a really good QB

3a. Aveon Smith cannot be QB next year if Eric Koehler is our OC

1. It’s concerning to me that Hesson or Humphrey hasn’t taken a meaningful snap
3 Likes

I would imagine if he was going to the bowl game, he would not have made the announcement already that he’s entering the transfer portal. Probably not even eligible to go to the game now. My guess anyway.

Is Humphrey’s touted to be better than Gabbert? Is he ranked higher to what Brett was coming in?

1 Like

Humphrey is what–18? Brett was different. He was born to be a QB. It’s in the family blood. He was much more advanced from the viewpoint of his mental game and understanding the game and how it’s run as almost all young QBs.
Humphrey is a stud QB prospect. Just remember that Ben sat his first year. Granted, he was a little behind the curve having played qb one year (dummiest damn HS coach to play his son over Ben at qb his jr year, in the history of HS football).

2 Likes

Sorry to double up–checking 247, Brett was rated a .8477 and was our all-time 13th highest rated player. Humphreys was a .8533 and our 7th rated player. Of interest, is Jeffrey Simmons, a 6’6" TE from Indiana. He was rated a .8522 making him the 13th rated player. Simmons was also an all-state forward with big numbers playing basketball. Recognized as one of the best players in Indiana. Add him with our 3rd rated in last years class and a current freshman is Javon Tracy, a WR, and Kenny’s little bro.
I don’t think the difference in rating is all that significant. For instance, Billy Bahl, a player we tried to hide from other recruiters, was a .8469 and the 14th rated player.
Also, I’m certainly no expert when it comes to recruiting and projecting the development of young guys, but these two guys could be dynamic. Humphreys checks all the boxes.Big,tough. And very fast. I’m excited to see how he fits in the program.I think he’s a terrific talent and we’re lucky to have him.

2 Likes

Three of four of them might end up taking meaningful snaps somewhere else. I’m assuming any QB with potential who hasn’t played regularly after his sophomore year is jumping in the portal looking for either a lateral transfer within G5 or a chance to start immediately at FCS.

1 Like

If the 2nd QB gets to run the entire offense, then it could work. But if the 2nd QB is only coming in to run the ball, eventually good defenses will gameplan for that and shut it down after it works for 2-3 games. How many teams are consistently running 2 QB systems and it’s worked effectively for the entirety of the season?

Yet with a Bowl win he will have 4 consecutive winning seasons and 5 consecutive nonlosing seasons. It is not that far from 7-6 to get to 9 or 10 wins, just a year when everything falls in place. When I was in school we were 7-3 or 6-4 for 5 straight years. People were grumbling about being stuck at that level and that the staff was incapable of doing better. Then suddenly we went on the best roll in Miami history, losing only 1 game in the next 3 years, going 7-1-1 vs power 5 schools, and winning Bowl games over Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. Finishing 10th, 15th, and 20th in the final polls. That would have never happened if half of the posters on this board had been in charge back then.

6 Likes

That is a scheduling issue as we have won more MAC games than either one of those programs over the last several seasons. Also, consistent Ohio only won 3 games last year.

I’m curious to see what we look like next year. I’m hoping we compete for the MACC, like I originally thought we would this year. Not sure who the QB should be. That being said…

Aveon certainly had his ups and downs this year. But to say he is for sure not “the guy” is wild to me. He came into the year not expecting to play at all. He is a RS freshman. Mind you Gabbert was the first true freshman starting QB at Miami. And we are ruling him out already? One of the most athletic guys we have had behind center, which is something you can’t teach by the way. He has a lot to improve upon, but who’s to say he can’t become a better passer?

If we are ruling out the development process, it doesn’t matter who we trot out there.

2 Likes

If you go back and look at those Miami years just preceding the glory years of 73-77, even though we had a few 7-3 type seasons, I think you will find some pretty good OOC wins plus Toledo was almost unbeatable in 3 of those years. Also, I will gladly take an 8-4 season as a low end aim point every year instead of 6-6.

3 Likes