Brett Gabbert

Don’t disagree…but we are stuck with him…

2 Likes

Flat statements that we are not winning a MAC Championship with Aveon Smith at QB are opinions. At least one poster after stating this opinion went on to say “that is the truth”. Unless you can see the future, it is not the truth.

This young man won several games for us after being thrust into a starting role. He steadily improved through the year and made some very clutch plays. Don’t pre-judge. He might end up being the second best quarterback in Miami history.

2 Likes

I agree. Also, is it wrong I’m still happy about beating Northwestern?

3 Likes

Not at all. And damn, it turns out we really, really needed that game (and all of the other ones we won, obviously)

2 Likes

“He might end up being the second best quarterback in Miami history.”

Meaning, of course, Ben is number one. What about Dysert? 12,000 yds passing. Or Gus. A tough SOB who won. Or Josh Betts, Mike Bath, Sam Ricketts, Terry Morris and Andrew Hendrix. And I am sure I am missing others.

I appreciate your support for Aveon. He is a Miami guy. But please. Don’t even go there. I watched his HS video and my impression was he’s a good athlete, but he’s no QB. Nothing that has happened has changed my opinion. If, by some football QB coach miracle, he suddenly becomes able to throw accurately for more than 10-12 yds, then he might move up the list. He has time. But, Humphreys will be the QB next year. As I have said before, there is a place for Aveon. He has skills running that will be of value to us. But not at QB barring an alignment of the planets. To keep him in the QB room would be a waste of his running talent.

2 Likes

In 20 years, no one save for a few who really care will remember how good they were. They will just see the W on a win/loss column.

1 Like

I agree that he made some progress. He’s a Hell of a competitor, a special athlete and a true Miami man. But predicting a ranking just below Ben at QB at this stage seems a bit over the top. I still think he might be playing out of position.

1 Like

mz343 my point isn’t how much the runs went for. My point, and I think you know it, is there are ways to incorporate 2 QBs when you don’t have 1 that checks all the boxes.

2 Likes

THIS!!

3 Likes

Redsea, I understand your sadness and despair, particularly given that we only got to see Gabbert play just one complete/full season (his freshman year in 2019 when we won a MAC title). After that, Covid and injuries really limited what looked like was going to a career for the history books at Miami.

I suppose more than anything I’m not chugging drano or jumping off a cliff because of what Gabbert was able to deliver in his seemingly short time at Miami - a MAC championship - and the fact that he earn his Miami degree. Plus, I’m looking forward to seeing (with great anticipation) what the next chapter of Miami football gives us with someone new taking snaps… presumably the very highly rated Joe Humphreys.

That said, I’ll buy you a beer and a plate of conch fritters in Nassau to help alleviate your sense of loss.

3 Likes

Yes…if you look at it closely Chuck has rarely ever beaten a decent team.

That’s the issue…and looking @ this year 4-4 in the MAC and we are going bowling…to me the best move is just try to ride out contract…or if next year is poor, find money and move on.

I don’t see us ever making a break through with Chuck at this point, but if Chuck would change OC, he deserves a chance (that likely requires an extension or succession plan…ie our OL coach).

He is what he is, a .500 coach. The question is how many coaches in the MAC are there that are better than him? Honestly, not many. Which doesn’t say a whole lot for the MAC.

2 Likes

Toledo…OU are showing consistency.

The numbers haven’t been updated for this week’s game, but going into this week we were 127th in offensive efficiency and 37th in defensive efficiency. Chuck is basically acting as the DC right now.

If Chuck can keep our defense playing that well and we bring in an OC who makes our offense respectable, we immediately become the best team in the conference. If Chuck can keep our defense playing that well and we bring in an OC who makes our offense legitimately good, we’d be a contender for a NY6 bid (especially with the AAC getting raided after this season).

2 Likes

Well said

2 Likes

We really really need a new OC…the lack of adjustments to take advantage of Aveon’s skills and reduce reliance on areas of his game that are weak gives me zero confidence that Koehler is up to the job.

2 Likes

Maybe, I just don’t know what else you do with Aveon? I was glad we kept throwing Tuesday night. I’m not disagreeing, just saying I’m not sure. I know it’s hard with your backup playing to run the offense you want. We also had back up RBs the last few games. That said, you may be right.

1 Like

I’d have to go back through the thread but someone said something interesting about Smith being injured for a while and quite possibly having some rust as he hadn’t played in a while before he came to MU

We just lost one of he best QB’s in the history of Miami football due in large part ( if not entirely ) due to extremely poor decision making by CM. Brett should never have been in the two game situations this year when he was injured esp given his past injured prone
status - no rationale person would ever have left him in the game in those in situations… I can still picture Brett being thrown to the ground by the OU player on the last play of the game - that OU player BTW owes Brett and Miami an apology as does the OU head coach for this unnecessary action.I also remember CM not confronting the OU player or the OU HC after the game re Brett’s injury. CM per TV coverage was just walking aimlessly around the field after the game. The two instances that Brett was injured this season due to poor decision making by the staff were not the first-remember the Ball State game when he was asked to run a QB keeper at the end of the first half when we were comfortably ahead and he could have just taken a knee? CM failures in other areas over the last 9 years are objectively well documented. The incompetence of this staff especially in offense play calling has not changed and will not change - as the TV commentators noted during the Ball State game and many of us on this site have consistently noted that trying to throw low percentage deep balls especially with an inexperienced QB made no sense- this same staff did the same thing to AJ Mayer - they made no adjustments for AJ ( or AV ) and required him to also throw low percentage deep balls ( for example go back and check out the play calling in our loss to EMU last year ). There is no objective argument that can be made to keep CM and most of this staff other than we can not or will not buy out his contact. Our Board of Trustees, President and AD need to do their jobs and not let this once valuable asset to the University - Miami Football - deteriorate any further.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree with a lot of what you say, but gamers want to play. Yes, coach needs to govern the player, but I can’t imagine Brett being happy on the sideline if he legitimately thought he could win a game. Can you? Many a former football player or coach on this board might validate this? Honestly curious…

2 Likes