Brett Gabbert

The game is changing. Smaller schools may always just grab benched P5 guys that can still dominate at the MAC level but sit at bigger schools.

1 Like

If that becomes the case, G5 can pretty much forget about high school recruiting at skill positions. P5 will take the best and sort them out. G5 will take the trickle downs.

1 Like

And that differs from what’s happening today how?

2 Likes

@JiveHawk A little bit. We’re still combing the high schools for the best skill guys P5 doesn’t take. But unless the number of transfers per roster is somehow capped, we might find ourselves in an environment where only P5 recruits high schoolers and G5 mines the portal. The percentage of transfers as starters jumped from 10% to 20% from 21 to 22. How high will it go?

1 Like

And many fans jump in a river

Chuck Martin is, by far, the highest paid employee of Miami @ approx $800,000. Pres Crawford got a raise to $551,665 plus a $75K bonus, for a total of $626,665. Mrs Crawford also receives an “ambassador” pay of $53,040. Together, they earn $679,705.
Miami has made Chuck a wealthy man. Yes, he is a very good person. Great dad and rep of Miami with parents and recruits. But, he is paid to win, which brings in positive pub, alumni excitement, student engagement, contributions to the U both athletic and otherwise.
By any measure, has he performed his job at a level to justify the investment by Miami in him? If he was a professor/employee who performed below expectations be retained? Has Saylor fired other coaches for their failure to run a winning program? With 2-3 more wins, would we be in a bowl with a payout greater than the BB @ $225K, which means it will cost us several hundred thousand to attend the bowl. Are we all right with all of that? Rhetorical question.

5 Likes

Exactly…think this is fine, and I’m sure there are some other options that will be looked into…Brett started as true frosh…why can’t a kid with Humphries tape start as a r-frosh?

AV might improve dramatically with the game experience he’s had, maybe not where you want as fulltime QB…but he’s still a waepon.

2 Likes

My reaction to this is - I hate it

I hate that there will never be a time again in my life that I can be excited about Miami sports future because transfer is so much a threat

If any of next years bball recruits are good then they transfer

6 Likes

I wish Brett the best wherever he ends up.

1 Like

Considering there are players responding with #FreeBG, me thinks this isn’t a byproduct of the transfer portal, but rather the staff.

3 Likes

It is possible to enter the transfer portal, not receive an offer that you like, and return to your original team. With the injuries that he has incurred, he may not get the offer that he is seeking.

Free Brittney Griner?

4 Likes

Exactly! And you won’t be developing anyone in house, assuming anyone stays anywhere anymore for more than 1 year! But I wouldn’t the transfer model to be our MO going forward. Not at QB.

2 Likes

So Jive you are saying the staff may have run BG off?

I’m going to embrace my inner Greggie and say we don’t need to snag a QB from the portal for 2023. If Gabbert transfers Miami has four scholarship QBs going into Spring 2023 (assuming none of the four transfer). Three redshirt Fr. - Smith, Hesson, and Edwards, and one Fr. - Humphreys. We more or less already know what Smith can do. We had a very small and limited peak at what Hesson can do. We know that Humphrey is one of the highest rated recruits in Miami history. One could bring in a P5 QB via the transfer portal, one with a similar or slightly higher ranking than Humphrey, but like Humphrey the true meaning or potential of that ranking would be largely unknown.

Smith obviously has the edge going into the Spring, but if Humphrey lives up to his ranking than I think Miami will be more than fine.

4 Likes

That’s gonna take ALOT of Bill Richardsons….

Not sure that’s as big of a risk in basketball. Less scholarships.

1 Like

Edwards isn’t on scholarship and they don’t have a scholarship qb coming in 2023 class. Pretty much forced to go to the portal.

I’m intrigued to see what BG can do with an actual OC.

1 Like

May Greggie have mercy on your soul.