Brett Gabbert

If any player leaves a program because the coaches played him TOO MUCH it would be the first time in college sports history

2 Likes

Iowa could certainly use a proven QB next season. Iowa City isn’t that far from St Louis. Ferentz knows first hand who he is.

Missouri isn’t far from St. Louis either. They could definitely use Brett. Remember, that is where Blaine played.

1 Like

Tough to see him go, but I don’t think he will ever have a healthy season again. He is injury prone which sucks, but I appreciate everything he has done for Miami! That MAC championship season and trip to mobile was a blast

1 Like

I commented on another thread I didn’t see Brett on the sidelines last night. That was a clue something was potentially up.

1 Like

Who do you trust to be the HC the next two seasons, Kirk Ferentz or Eli Drinkwitz?

He was on the sideline last night.

It’s not so simple. He played him “too much” at times he should not have been in the game. Kentucky–down 37-13 with a couple minutes left. The last play of a game we were going to lose. Why leave him in? For the greatest comeback in Miami history? Because Brett asked to stay in? No–just gross coaching incompetence. And the player doesn’t tell the coach when to play.

7 Likes

My apologies. As I said, I didn’t see him, but I easily could have missed him. Thanks.

2 Likes

Gabbert’s transfer clears the table for Joe Humphreys.

3 Likes

I think there will be other factors involved. But of those two, leaving all other factors aside, I think Eli would develop an offensive game plan that would showcase Brett’s skills more than Kirk. Iowa needs a new OC as well!!

1 Like

That is who I hope doesn’t leave. I hope CM gives Joe H a shot at winning the job.

5 Likes

If we don’t have a “quarterback controversy” after spring practice, we will probably have at least two QB jump in the spring portal.

I would bet a lot of people here feel he can end up at a P5. He’s experienced and has had success. If there’s a space, what coach wouldn’t want that person in the QB room? The issue though is, he won’t have the job handed to him the way it was here. If he stays healthy, he’s a tough out. Just that those QB rooms are deep! 4 star dudes on the bench. Either way, pulling for him. He’s a very impressive person and player.

1 Like

Pretty sure Iowa loses ineffective starter Spencer Petras to graduation. Alex Padilla, his backup, is a junior. Padilla hasn’t been effective either. They only have two other QB in the room coming back / both underclassmen who haven played a down. I would think Iowa might be quite interested in Brett.

2 Likes

Interesting!

everyone should have a shot at winning the qb job but my prediction is they hit the portal hard and whoever they snag will start next year. subpackages with Aveon as long as he stays.

1 Like

We should be able to pull in a P5 QB from the portal. QBs transfer at a high rate. Hopefully we can land a big one. With CM on the hot seat, might change things a bit though…

If we start pulling QBs from the portal and playing them ahead of the guys already in the room, we’ll never recruit a top high school prospect again.

5 Likes

We have three freshmen. I’m not sure having them sit is that big of a deal.

1 Like