Bowl predictions and preferences

I can see EMU vs Row the Boat in Detroit.

Row the boat has 5 wins.

1 Like

They qualified because the NCAA didnā€™t have 82 eligible teams. JMU, Jak State and Minnesota take the bowl slots. Hawaii bought them a slot by beating Colorado State at the gun last night in Honolulu.

1 Like

Better them than us, Nescadad!

1 Like

If you were forced to guess, where do you think Redhawks end up?

P.S. just saw the two ESPN prognosticators updated predictions: one has us vs. Jacksonville State in Toastery Bowl in Charlotte and the other in Arizona vs. Boise State.

I donā€™t know how it could happen, but Iā€™d like to play Marshall. These are exhibitions and we might as well feel some good, old hate.

2 Likes

I was just thinking today that is my least favorite option

1 Like

Just think, could beat UC, OU, and Marshall all in one year if we did play them. Thatā€™s a super rare triple!

2 Likes

Basic trophy truth: you donā€™t want/need a trophy in your facility that says ā€œThe Toastery Bowlā€ on it. All of us know this intuitively but some of us forget this come announcement reality. In 25 years from now, winning The Arizona Bowlā€ will look much better.

Toasteryā€¦what the wha?

1 Like

I donā€™t give a rats ass what they call the bowls these days. Iā€™m just glad there are 41 of turn so that 10-2,MAC teams arenā€™t snubbed like we were in 1998.

6 Likes

Yeah 1998 was a kick in the gutā€¦in those days as you will recall we all read USA Today and maybe Sporting News to track our college sportsā€¦almost all prognosticators had us penciled into the Vegas Bowl and then UNC eked out a season ending win against NC State to finish 6-5, and I felt a feeling of dread.

Unfortunately I was right as they picked UNC over our 10-1 squadā€¦ unsurprising, UNC took only about 500 fans to the game. What a bummer as we had such a good team that yearā€¦and what about our 95 squad which went 8-2-1 and beat the frigging Big Ten champion. Our newbies on the board oughtta consider that when we ā€œoldstersā€ complain we should more effectively compete against OOC opponents.

3 Likes

Giving ass to rats aside, you donā€™t fool me. You care! Oh you care.

The Bowl name matters like any brand name does. Would you eat lunch at Ronald McDumpholeā€™s?

Heck no!

Letā€™s not settle for another Beef-o-Bunghole bowl when we can have something grander.

I hope Iā€™m not alone here.

1 Like

I know your post wasnā€™t directed at me, Yellow, but I have to admit that the lack of exposure going to the Arizona Bowl still does bother me, but given the realities of alternatives (Detroit, Boise, Montgomery, etc.), itā€™s starting to look a little more palatable if we can get a good MWC opponent there. Also, a warm
and fun place for the players, coaches , and parents to goā€¦

1 Like

Remember, I get paid 4 dollars a year to write jokes here to make all ye who love our wretched sports laugh. Given that football is good again, itā€™s free money. Anyhow, Iā€™d love to get to Arizona if we make it there. Iā€™m still holding out hope for a bigger bowl because I think we might actually beat Toledo.

#crazybutnotimpossiible

Love you 513,

Yellow

Iā€™d proudly wear a Bunghole Bowl Champs shirt

5 Likes

I sometimes wear clothes from ChessKing. Granted, theyā€™re new old stock, but I digress.

Itā€™s not a horse!

Chess King! They had cool pants (at the time).

1 Like

Where do they play this bowl? Uranus?

4 Likes

Let me stop you right there! I am proud of our Salad Bowl trophy, our GoDaddy.com Bowl, our GMAC Bowl trophy, and our one time only Frisco Football Classic trophy as I am of our Sun Bowl trophy and our three Tangerine Bowl trophies.

Iā€™d take a Tostitos Bowl, Cheezit Bowl, Pop Tarts Bowl or Gasparilla Bowl trophy any day!

There was something quaint about how back in the day, large, somewhat faceless concerns used to sponsor the bowls. The salad growers guild. The International citrus and sugar conglomerates. I have no issue with that. In fact, Iā€™d love to see that be the standard. My issue (ā€œmineā€ mind you) is when any company under the sun can put their name on the bowl. To me, it starts to feel very cheap. Granted, nothing will stop this from happening but having a trophy with a Beef-o-Brady logo on it in a glass case is just as silly as having one with a Fleet Enema logo on it. I donā€™t really think thereā€™s a debate here. Itā€™s kind of an easy lay up for stupidity. There was a great article about this floating around yesterday. Iā€™ll see if I canā€™t find it.

Edit: serious question: where are all the big name logos on these bowls. Apple. Visa. Nike. Etc. Why are most of them sponsored by brands no one really cares about. Itā€™s baffling.