Bowl predictions and preferences

Against the Charmin State Klingons!

1 Like

Regarding the sponsorships, hereā€™s my take.

Any of those big companies would only consider having their name on the biggest most prestigious bowl, and certainly not on a bowl thatā€™s below a competitor.

For example, Capital One already has the Orange Bowl. Visa putting their name on any bowl below that would ā€œcheapen their brandā€. Even sponsoring an equivalent bowl would create a comparison they donā€™t need.

Nike and especially Apple create their own marketing environments, and a college bowl game would be way too limiting for them. At big electronics conventions, Apple used to ā€œbuy the biggest boothā€. Now they donā€™t go to conventions, they host their own, when they want, where they want, showing only what they want.

Ultimately, 95% of bowl games have limited marketing value nationally and just donā€™t present a winning proposition for the big corporations.

And isnā€™t it more fun to say ā€œFamous Toastery Bowlā€ than the Apple Bowlā€? :grin:

3 Likes

Great insights here! Much appreciated.

Iā€™m perfectly OK with the Apple Cup, though!

All apples are not the same.

1 Like

Is this the bastard grandson of the Tangerine Bowl?

https://x.com/nicoleauerbach/status/1729212392511287471?s=46&t=kkeF2AzE13jVd9hF623X4A

1 Like

This is the craziest idea Iā€™ve heard in a long time. I might actually tune into watch this.

3 Likes

Athlon projects us in the Boise Potato Bowl vs a 6-6 Utah Stateā€¦not terribly inspiring but a very winnable game. Same outlet has NIU in the Arizona Bowl.

Nobody really knows yet unless itā€™s ESPNā€™s Marketing team and theyā€™re not talking.

Iā€™m not sure they even knowā€¦ or if they even care, to be honest. As long as there are 2 teams for each bowl, itā€™s fine.

1 Like

Strange stat: The Sun Belt has 12 teams eligible for a bowl. 7 of those 12 have a 6-6 record. Only JMU has double digit wins.

ā€¦and despite this, there are so many bowls, they still didnā€™t have enough teams with a 6-6 record or better to fill them.

My money is on Boise or Tucsonā€¦but again, who knows??

Probably get a better opponent in Tucson, and despite the lack of exposure (no mass TV), Iā€™d be willing to bet that the players would prefer going there vs. Boise (or Detroit, or Montgomery, etc.).

At the same time a number of outlets have a MAC team projected for either Boca, Charlotte, and Mobile, but nary a mention of Miami). Not sure whyā€¦

Reminds me of this:

ESPNā€™s Bonagura has us playing Jak State in Charlotte.

Yeah I forgot about thatā€¦I guess Iā€™,d be surprised to see us there but would welcome it w the right opponent.

1 Like

Weā€™d be outnumbered by the Birmingham area folks if it was Jak State. Their first bowl game and not that bad a drive.

2 Likes

When Miami beats Toledo on Saturday, they can add to their resume a win over a ranked teamā€¦long time in being able to say that and it obviously increases our attractiveness to bowl committees.

Tucson is a great venue. I understand game ushers have been replaced recently by Border Patrol Agents.

If we can beat Toledo Saturday, I think we can make a case for the Cure/Boca Bowl/Mobile against a 10 win team from G5.

If Toledo wins, I think they deserve a shot against JMU or Liberty in a prime time TV slot (whatever bowl that may be) and we will end up in Arizona.

Agree.

1 Like