Bowl predictions and preferences

But no passports required.and the gear doesn’t have to be shipped by an ocean-going freighter and processed through customs…

1 Like

I was hearing ESPN got first pick and then Barstool. Since this game is on ABC, does that mean neither wanted us? Or is this considered ESPN’s pick due to their affiliation with ABC?

1 Like

It’s ESPN’s pick

2 Likes

Our Bowl record in Orlando is pretty good……
Easy to get to, warm
And cheap. Let’s go win it like 73,74,75….

2 Likes

I guess I look at Appy State as a more recognized and respected football program than Wyoming. As already noted, they have a very strong following and will likely bring quite a few fans to the bowl game.

I live in the NC Mountains, and Appy is located in a beautiful mountain town of Boone, NC. (not that this has anything to do with football).

Again, I wish they had a better record, but they were the SunBelt runner up and will be a formidable foe. It’d be a good win to knock them off.

3 Likes

I’m good with this one! App State isn’t Florida State, but it’s better than Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Troy, MTSU or pretty much the rest of the Sun Belt on a January 4th or something. If Miami is going to be at the children’s table for Bowl Season, this is a good matchup to watch.

It’s on ABC, more fun than an ESPNU game on a Tuesday night… Liking it!

4 Likes

Yes, and that’s another reason to extend Martin…and his staff…because Miami (ICA, President and Board of Trustees) if they’re smart—always a dubious statement) may have a shot at doing what Boise began about 20 years ago) could actually begin a run of 9-10 win seasons for several years and Miami’s future schedule shows us playing just enough P-5 teams to further establish our legitimacy. If Miami keeps harvesting the portal and overall recruiting keeps on the recent upward trend it’s been on, it could happen.

If this were to happen, attendance should improve substantially…AND being able to draw more students to games is a sure way to lay the groundwork for increased donor support down the road. For far too long, this has been missed because of shortsightedness by the people in charge who figure they won’t be around in 20-30 years when the current students reach the “donor years,” so they ignore laying the groundwork.

2 Likes

I’m glad they’re doing it now because I don’t wanna wait for our lives to be over.

2 Likes

I am fine with App State (although heads will roll for us not playing Tulane in the Boca Raton Bowl!) but I am disappointed we didn’t warrant playing another G5 conference champion.

1 Like

Am I the only one that wants us to play the worst possible opponent? If you don’t play a P5 opponent I think there is very little distinction amongst our casual fans or the world more generally.

Whether you win or lose, however, can effect fans perceptions and possibly recruiting.

1 Like

ESPN/ABC are one in the same under Disney. Sometimes you’ll see “ESPN on ABC”. I’m excited to play on ABC. It may be Miami’s first playing on one of the Big 4 OTA broadcasting networks. When we’ve played Notre Dame they have demoted us to NBC Sportsnetwork cable channel in the past.

2 Likes

We are +6.5 pt underdogs to App State and some of you act like App State isn’t a worthy opponent.

1 Like

It’ll be our 3rd time on ABC per the article in muredhawks. One was OSU and the other UM, mid 2000s.

I don’t think it’s a matter of worthiness so much as desirability. We were a double digit dog vs Louisiana the last time we won the MAC. Much like App St, they were a worthy opponent but not desirable.

Mississippi State wasn’t even technically bowl eligible when we played them in 2016. But having a chance to play an SEC school in bowl season felt like a big deal.

This isn’t just a G5 vs P5 analysis. Tulane or SMU, based on their seasons and recent history, would have felt like bigger games and more desirable. It is what it is and, all things considered, a nitpick.

A total non-sequitur: have we been favored in a bowl game or MAC title game since Ben was on campus? I don’t remember if we were favored vs North Texas in the FFC, but I think that would be the only time.

1 Like

UNT was favored. We were the last team in that year.

That was not true per coach martin

1 Like

Game was in Dallas as well. Wasn’t it?

Am I the only one that wishes we would have had a bowl later in the bowl season? Even if it was that Arizona Bowl now that it’s on regular television? After a year like we had, you would think we would be rewarded with a better bowl.

That said, bring on App State!

South Alabama gets a home game for their bowl-in a way kind of sucks for the SA kids.