Bowl Eligibility 2022

I’m not sure what benefit this provides anyone. They mentioned in a press conference well before the BSU game his ankle was worse than expected.

3 Likes

I must have missed that press conference. I just saw the one where CM downplayed it.

Bottom line is that he’s going to play somewhere else the next two years and a number of people probably either knew or highly expected that’s what was going to happen for most of the 2022 season.

We are back to having a single QB on our roster with any meaningful game experience.

Closing the book on the Gabbert era and opening up the next chapter.

Chuck would need at least one timeout to come up with that.

2 Likes

Apparently UNLV is unlikely to accept an APR invite at 5-7 with their coach being fired. Not sure who would be next up in line.

Looks like Michigan State might be up next with an APR of 183 and a 5-7 record. Auburn seems to be next after MSU but they have a coaching vacancy. If Buffalo beats Akron I think it’s a moot point - Rice should be the only one needed.

Not so fast, Rice!

New Mexico State is 5-6. Their game against San Jose State was canceled after a SJSU player died. They have applied to the NCAA for a one-time waiver from the six-win rule for automatic qualification because circumstances beyond their control prevented the 12th game from going forward. Nothing against Rice, but I hope the Aggies get their wish.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/new-mexico-state-seeking-ncaa-waiver-bowl-game

2 Likes

The Athletic added clarity this morning. Because 6-6 Army and App State both played two FCS teams and can count only one, both are ineligible for a bowl. If Buffalo beats Akron Friday the Bulls become the 80th eligible team at 6-6. Top APR scores among 5-7 teams are Rice, UNLV, Michigan State and Auburn. UNLV and Auburn are currently undergoing coaching changes. As pointed out above, New Mexico State has applied for a waiver at 5-6. They would not be high on the APR list but the NCAA could make an assumption that if they’d played San Jose in Las Cruces they might have gotten to 6-6.

Only two bowls - the most complicated travel destinations - are currently “locked in”, ours and the Hawaii Bowl (San Diego State and Middle Tennessee). All other bowls will be set this Sunday.

They still may let Appy in…we shall see.

been a long time since App St. was 6-6…

I don’t think so. Doesn’t seem to be any path for App State to bowl eligibility even though they beat the team (A&M) that beat the team (LSU) that’s playing in the SEC championship game.

It’s unknown if they’ve applied, but there’s speculation going around that JMU could apply for a waiver if there’s not enough bowl eligible teams. I assume they’d be more appealing at 8-3 than a 5-7 team if a waiver were to be granted.

The NCAA has granted New Mexico State’s waiver. The Aggies are off to their second bowl in 61 years.

7 Likes

Hatch Chile celebration in Las Cruces! Jerry Kill’s first year there. Crazy upset the Aggies pulled off last week at Liberty!

So if Buffalo beats Akron, it’s the Bulls,New Mexico State and Rice.

1 Like

Rice fight never dies… it just gasps for breath.

With an ex-Hawk

2 Likes

Yep…

had 7 tackles and sack vs Liberty…good for him

2 Likes

I’m genuinely shocked that the Jerry Kill hire ended up working out. Hopefully his health cooperates, because it would be cool to see him get to rebuild another program, especially since it now seems a lot more doable with them escaping independence after this season.

2 Likes

Where are they heading, USA?

Cincinnati to play Louisville in Fenway Wasabi Bowl. They should carpool!

2 Likes