Bowl Eligibility 2022

From the projected match ups I saw, I’d be surprised if the MAC wins more than 2 of ‘em.

80 teams are eligible as of today. If Buffalo beats Akron Friday that’s 81 and Rice would be the only APR team in. If Buffalo loses (embarrassing both Miami and the MAC) it would appear both Rice and UNLV would get invitations based on APR. UNLV beat rival Nevada yesterday to get to 5-7.

Why exactly would Akron beating Buffalo embarrass us?

Would mean another under .500 team beat us??

1 Like

Dude is rooting for Ohio U on Saturday. There is no lower form of life.

2 Likes

Because Buffalo beat us and then couldn’t beat the worst team in the conference when a bowl bid was in the line. And because Buffslo’s loss would mean the MAC wouldn’t fill its full six bowl spots…

Here’s another raspberry got you, “dude.”

16?

@Ballcoach1 Maybe a couple more or a couple less…I thought I heard a coach throw out that number. How many does a team get?

1 Like

Just curious. I hope it’s 16.

1 Like

That really doesn’t affect me. If Buffalo loses to Akron, that is Buffalo’s problem.

1 Like

@Ballcoach1 Found this article from a few years ago and several others that say the same thing. The 15 practice limit is apparently a myth tied to the cap on spring practices. NCAA rules say a team is limited to 4 hours of practice a day and a max of 20 hours per week during the bowl run up period. Do the math from the Ball State game through Dec 15 and it should calculate the max number of practices we can squeeze it. It looks like 68 hours of practice time total.

2 Likes

The new Transfer Portal windows are going to make this very interesting. We could effectively practice for a week with guys that enter the portal on Dec 6 and then have to make adjustments. Hopefully most of the players who are transferring inform the coaches prior to Dec 6. We will certainly have some big holes to fill assuming that the majority of the guys transferring are opting out of the bowl.

3 Likes

Excellent point @BTB30. Between transfer portal entries and guys choosing to sit out to avoid injury at draft time it’s going to make for an interesting bowl season. I heard speculation that coaches ought to anticipate losing 10-15% of their rosters to the portal after every season. The new age of CFB free agency…

The extra practices are a very helpful to a young team.

1 Like

Just a transfer portal tid bit. I’ve written before I have a great nephew who was full ride f/b at UC. We talked at family get together at Thanksgiving. He said Brett told several guys on the team few weeks ago he wasn’t going to be back. We had the same discussion last year about Pace. It eventually came out that Miami players knew before it was announced that he was gone. Next thing you know he’s at UC. Didn’t have any idea where Brett might wind up.

In conjunction to Nescadad’s 10-15% wonder how many others are going to leave that some team members know about (and coaches don’t know yet?)

Go get Cade McNamara. He’s available.

2 Likes

There were lots of clues after Brett’s OU injury that he wasn’t coming back. First was CM saying in one if his post-Ohio interviews that it was just a minor ankle injury and implying Brett would be back. Everyone knew he had played four games and would burn a redshirt if he played at NIU. But he was held out of the NIU game. Then we won it, making the Ball State game really important. When it was announced that he wasn’t playing in that game the handwriting was on the wall. Anyone paying close attention had to know he was gone - with two years of eligibility left. The coaches probably knew full-well he was transferring and probably had a hand in the decision not to let him play at NIU and against Ball State to preserve his redshirt.

Anyone who already has their degree and has eligibility left - like Brett - could have announced a portal transfer already. None have as far as I know.

Others will announce on December 6…probably at least one in the QB room, I’m guessing.

3 Likes

You’re probably right. However, Brett was in a walking boot for Ball State game. He wasn’t playing because he couldn’t.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that. Interesting! TV only had one shot of him during the game and it was a head shot.

CM definitely downplayed the injury a day or so after the Ohio game. He sounded like he was very relieved Brett wasn’t seriously injured and implied he would be back.

Maybe the injury turned out being more nagging than expected. Maybe they kept him in the boot as a transfer portal smokescreen. Maybe they knew all along he wouldn’t be playing more than 4 games this season after the Kentucky injury and would be transferring. Maybe that’s why CM seemed so persistent in trying to develop Aveon.

Who knows. Probably only Brett and he’s appropriately not commenting on it.

2 Likes