Bowl Eligibility 2022

UTEP loses bowl eligibility on last second UTSA FG. Starting to look like WKU or UAB. I choose UAB.

2 Likes

Looks likes it’s UAB

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/uab-to-play-miami-oh-2022-bahamas-bowl

2 Likes

Just did a Google search and it said UAB is headed to the Bahamas as of 1 min ago.

1 Like

Beat me to it!

LFG!!

If they are the most “beatable”, I’m all in! We do much better against teams w losing records and hopefully can knock off a .500 squad in the bowl game.

To the most knowledgeable amongst us a question: how do we match up against UAB?

They are a very solid team. Lost by a TD to Liberty who beat Arkansas and played many other P5’s tough. They handily beat GA Southern who beat Nebraska. I think we can win, but this is no gimme.

3 Likes

Eh, Northwestern also beat Nebraska…

They’ve put up 40 points per game in their last three games. We better put some kind of an offense on the plane when we fly down there.

1 Like

I am sure we will have “some kind of offense”!! :laughing:

1 Like

Suspect we will be the underdog in this game…maybe UAB favored by 6??

1 Like

Sagarin ratings appear to make UAB about a 7 point favorite

It appears UAB has a potent offense led by their rushing attack including a really good running back who just put up 270 yards vs la tech. However I would probably rather try and defend a running game than a passing game right now

The other thing with bowl games is - who is playing vs who is transferring- who treated it like a vacation vs a business trip

My sense is the MAC is going to perform poorly this year

4 Likes

Good point about the transfers and voluntary sit-outs. That’s become a big factor in recent bowl seasons. If I recall correctly, Miami and Central were the only MAC winners in last year’s bowl games.

MAC almost always performs poorly…based on some projected match ups it doesn’t look good for many victories, plus the West is lousy this year.

As for us, with our limitations on ability to score most any match up would be challenging, but as stated above,if UAB is one dimensional, that is probably about as good as it gets for us, especially if they don’t pass well. We can sit back in our zone and concentrate on stopping the run.

3 Likes

“A team that runs well and can’t pass whatsoever” described North Texas last year

Of course “a team that can’t pass” also describes our offense.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, that is true. Just maybe Chuck will rattle Koehler’s chain b4 the bowl game, and get some medium/short passes in the game plan. The problem even there is that those patterns require good timing and quick accurate throws.

1 Like

We’ve also got 16 practices to develop our young guns and incorporate a more sophisticated, more wide-open offense. Two or three QB should be getting lots of reps between now and Dec 16.

5 Likes

Good point.

Proving bowl projections are meaningless:

College football bowl projections: CFP, New Year’s Six, more

Somehow, even in the predictions updated this afternoon, Schlabach has BG playing WKU in Nassau