Biggest Play in School History

Wow…that NIU game was exciting! Watched the game at a sports bar in Naperville, IL with a few buddies.

I was also in attendance at the LSU (ranked #8) win in 1986 and the Morris to Schillinger long TD pass was right in front of my endZone seats…it was one of the most exciting Miami plays I saw in person.

Another one to mind was the flea flicker to Randy Walker in the last minute of the 1973 Kent game…we won game and trip to Tangerine Bowl (where we whipped Georgia) on last second FG by Dave Draught (sp??). I think it was a 39 yarder and Miami Field went nuts.

2 Likes

And I was there!

He was in!!!

3 Likes

I will go to my deathbed insisting that if the refs don’t blow the call on the Bath TD, we win the game.

5 Likes

Prayer answered!

2 Likes

Miami’s first really big nationally noticed upset!

A good friend of mine at work in the pacific northwest is an LSU alum. He was at the 1986 game in Baton Rouge…said many of the LSU fans stayed after the game and gave Miami’s players a standing ovation for their great effort. He and I attended the 1990 game down there - with a much different outcome.

I was standing next to Boucher ‘s (spelling) mom for the second half of theNIU game. She moved to an empty seat next to me as to get a better view. She was more than a little excited.

3 Likes

It’s not even in the Top 10 for our entire history all things considered, but beating UMass in 2014 with their last-minute blunder and ending the losing streak (got to rush the field as a band member and a dozen brave students who stuck around for the comeback) is up there for me.

2 Likes

Yes I was in Columbus as well when we got robbed on the Bath no TD call…then there was the blatant cheap shot not called to add insult to injury.

2 Likes

Morris to Schillinger LSU 86

3 Likes

The marching band refused to yield! Life imitating art.

Ty King.

6 Likes

Cincykid3,
You nailed my two favorites with the LSU and Kent games due to their impact. LSU because of the historic upset and Kent because it secured the MAC title, bowl bid and undefeated streak of 24 which I think was tied for or the longest in the nation at the time. I would only correct the date for Kent as being 1974.

1 Like

Thx JDad! Not sure how I missed my typo on the date…fall of 1974 was my freshman year at Miami so I remember it well!

1 Like

No doubt, was in the stands that day…could not believe the screw job…I rarely subscribe to refs determining the game, but they did that day and in the Big House Ben’s first year…it was clear that there would be not upsets (may not have won the Michigan game, but we did not get a fair chance…).

So in…who knows, “maybe he stepped out” but I doubt it…and no flag as I recall when they laid Bath out after the whistle and clearly blown play.

2 Likes

We were down on the field thinking it’d be a sure win at the end, but they found a way to drive down the field. They really should’ve won, but I suppose that’s why they’re UMass and have never done better than 4-8 in ten years of FBS play.

Looking back it’s hard to believe how incompetent we were then. We barely squeaked out wins against UMass and Kent State, if Andrew Hendrix didn’t transfer here we may have gone winless again in 2014.

1 Like

Another reflection on the era of gross incompetence: I went to the 2013 game at Marshall, the season opener. Although we didn’t look anywhere near as athletic or as fast as The Herd, we managed to come away with a 14-14 tie at the half. As soon as the second half began our incompetence began to surface. Marshall made adjustments. We made none. The result: 38 unanswered Herd points in route to an embarrassing 52-14 loss. We can never allow ourselves to sink to that level of incompetence again. Love and Honor! Beat UK!

Yeah, my vote was the Chris givens catch