Biggest Play in School History

Saw this on BG’s board. Interesting discussion.

Youtube cut of the “biggest play in school history” for every FBS program.

Ours is the Ben to Tillitz hail mary.

If we’re basing it off off sheer excitement/improbability that’s probably the winner, but if it’s implications for the program I’d say John Scott’s FG to beat UNC in 1998 would get my vote. Or maybe Chad Seitz’s game winner vs NW in 1995. Or something from the LSU game in 86.'.

Curious what everyone else thinks.

2 Likes

The late fourth quarter blocked punt in ‘95 at Northwestern has to be in the mix. It set up the last second winning FG. We were Northwestern’s only loss until their USC loss in the Rose Bowl. Pretty special!

4 Likes

Maybe not the 'biggest", but certainly in the top 10, Thomas Merriweather’s 96-yard TD run against Temple in 2010. Miami trounces Temple 23-3 and wins the MAC East.

2 Likes

The TD at LSU in 1986 when 2 defenders collided? Maybe not a TD but I was at that game and the 2 defenders did collide.

2 Likes

I think the LSU victory was the greatest win in school history.I think they were 6th ranked at the time…

1 Like

Ben to Tillitz was the first one that jumped to my mind.

1 Like

Football posted this to their twitter last year. Highlights from the game.

It was actually a bad snap.

3 Likes

We took three cracks at it from the 1 and couldn’t punch it in. I watched it pacing up and down in my Lake Stevens, WA rec room. Seems like yesterday! Northwestern had beaten Notre Dame in South Bend a week earlier.

4th and 20 with a MAC Championship on the line against NIU comes to mind as a candidate.

9 Likes

Hard to argue with “It ain’t over Tillitz over.”

3 Likes

On October 13, 1962, Ernie Kellerman threw an 88-yard touchdown pass to Bob Jencks, helping Miami upset Purdue (then ranked ninth in the nation by the Associated Press) 10-7. I was there in West Lafayette.
. Students in Oxford partied long and hard after that win.

3 Likes

BTW, Jencks also kicked the field goal. Jencks went to the Chicago Bears, and Ernie spent nine years with the Browns as a D-back.

Can’t argue that the biggest win was at LSU. Schillenger and Morris had a huge game, but the defense forced I think 7 fumbles on a rainy night in Baton Rouge. It was quite the celebration afterwards!

7 Likes

Let me just say, as the color announcer with Omar Williams on play by play, I predicted a Miami win in the pregame show!

9 Likes

I was there! Great memories. Not much hope down 24-7 in 4th Q. But some amazing plays and a helper from the ref who stopped the clock with seconds to go allowing us to kick the FG, making the game a true Tomahawk win

In terms of a play, I’d have to go with 4th and 20 against NIU. Difference between a MaC Championship or not. Truely a miracle play.

6 Likes

they forgot the worst to first season when beat niu for Mac championship

2 Likes

Most of us were listening (not watching) in our dorms. Several of us then decided to have a beer or two. Well, more than several. My first big time Miami win experience. Sure would like to have another.

3 Likes

Unconventional, but I’ll go Mike Bath to Ty Buxton or Mike Bath for the TD on the scramble (yes he was in!)…b/c I don’t care what the score was, we beat the Buckeye that day! :wink:

Otherwise…gotta be this for the play/play sequence, as Bake said…LSU for the moment (overall game)

4 Likes

I was at the Purdue game ‘62. My Dad had Purdue season tickets.

2 Likes