Bergeron: Miami 'not a 7-win program'

Story here:

4 Likes

Then prove it on the Ice that Miami is not a 7 game win team!

2 Likes

If we are being completely honest with ourselves…. Miami University should be start looking into phasing out this program.

1 Like

Another butthurt bouncyball fan spewing ignorance about cutting hockey.

Go away, you have a whole section of the board to discuss your unwatchable sport.

4 Likes

:ok_hand:

Sorry. Just being honest.

Be honest in your own section. None of us ever go there and suggest cutting your sport, especially when it’s completely off-topic.

1 Like

Because cutting basketball would be stupid.

Yeah, all 10 fans would be heartbroken.

Sorry to interrupt the spirited hockey discussion!

Carry on

Sorry, but cutting any sport sucks. Having been there, (men’s tennis) it’s a hurt that never goes away. Hockey has been terrible, but so has basketball and at one time football. They can all be great again. Because they have all been great.
What can never be great again at Miami is men’s wrestling, soccer, or tennis. They got cut. Yet all were top 25 programs at one point in their history. Idiot fan, I hope one day soon you’ll be converted to my point of view. I will now make my wager: hockey is remarkably better this season. I’m going at least 14 wins. And when it happens, in the words of Braniff, I’ll say “believe it!” Holy heck I’m old.

7 Likes

For those of you who cracked right away that we should drop hockey, did you actually bother to read the f*cking article? Bonk lays out good points for the reasons of the past couple of years.

Hockey is by far the most popular sport at Miami. It’s not going anywhere any time soon.

2 Likes

Yes as a former Miami soccer player having that sport cut still hurts after all these years.

3 Likes

I read the article. Great interview.

1 Like

When unionization comes to college athletics, it’ll be really interesting to see which sports survive

2 Likes

@Bonk, excellent article. The quotes from the head coach make me want to upchuckmartin all over my flip flops but that doesn’t take away from the hard work that went into this. Well done.

I was going to lurk my way through this thread but the idiocy was too much for me so I’m trying to get us back on topic - the upcoming season. @YellowNumber5 (may I call you YellowNumber5?) - if we get to 14 wins I’ll be ecstatic and will have to recalibrate my assessment of the coaching staff. I have us at 10 wins which in year four is not good enough. I don’t buy this lost Covid season BS. Because we suck Covid hit us harder than other programs? Give me a break. I get his point, I just think it’s garbage. Quit making excuses for your failures and start winning some games.

Back to lurking.

2 Likes

I see what you did there

3 Likes

I don’t disagree with a lot of what you said, but losing a year to COVID absolutely impacted rebuilding teams more than established teams. If you don’t believe the points I laid out, just think about options teams like SCSU and <W had in terms of returning very good players vs. parting ways while Miami was just trying to assemble a competitive roster.

Not only did good teams have their already-scheduled recruiting classes lined up, they had their choice of which seniors to bring back as grads.

Miami was far less talented at that point, right? So now you have super-NCAA teams that Miami is trying to compete with. Believe me, I saw the back-up effect all season when I went to USHL games.

I was flat-out told Stephen Holliday would’ve been in Columbus had it not been for the log-jam COVID created, and I watched him blow up the USHL.

Keep in mind Berge has never been an excuse-maker when I’ve interviewed him, but I asked about that exact issue and he was responding honestly.

7 Likes

One of my best friends, a fellow Miamian, was the first varsity captain of Miami’s men’s soccer team. He is Barry Watkins, '73. He played from '69-'72. While he also still harbors some anger and disappointment at the sport being dropped, he still, to his credit, supports the women’s team and follows their season.

1 Like

My apologies for taking a shot at basketball attendance/interest. I don’t follow it closely but I always root for it and all Miami sports to do well. It brings out the worst in me when outsiders suggest cutting the sport I’ve been a huge fan and supporter of for over a quarter century.

4 Likes

Apology accepted on behalf of the 10.7 million viewers who tuned in to the NCAA basketball tournament on any given night :grin: