Bellarmine game

Mekhi did what he had to do. Bellarmine’s players didn’t. If they didn’t get to the free throw line, not our fault. :grinning: Their coach certainly bitched about it enough during the game! :rofl:

4 Likes

Steele’s initial “signature win.” Many bigger ones to come.

2 Likes

Anderson’s evolution is really remarkable. Love the little flex when it goes in.

2 Likes

Very true

Anderson is a gift

3 Likes

Tell ‘em sis

4 Likes

Yea us.

1 Like

Important win. Nice taste of finishing a close game on the road. Felt like a step forward today and hope it continues next week vs Wright St.

6 Likes

I looked at the box score and I like the fact that we played almost the entire team who was healthy and still won. Even if for just a short time. That takes belief in the players as this one was tight the whole way.

1 Like

After a poor start on D, our intensity picked up and stayed up. That got us the W. We played very physically, and didn’t clutch down the stretch on offense. Yeah, the refs were bad. Probably one the few games in my life where I would say we got the benefit of more bad calls than they did. This one showed flashes of what we could become. Probably our best win of the year to date. Very encouraging!

4 Likes

Had brunch this morning with friends who are UC season ticket holders. They commented that next to the UC players our kids looked like high schoolers. Asked if we had a weight program.

Majority of them were high schoolers about 6 months ago

4 Likes

I was finally able to watch the game tonight. I thought we played harder, especially defensively. We hit the glass harder. And we played smarter than they did. They let the officiating bother them. I thought the bad calls evened themselves out. As Jive said, you can’t hip check on a hedge. And, they need to be taught or realize that you can’t throw your arm around a guy’s neck area when you try to post up.

This Bellarmine team is actually comparable with last year’s defensively, pretty bad. The biggest difference is their offensive. Last year, they were 81st in Division 1 in offensive efficiency and 18th in turnover rate. This year, they are 192nd and 224th in those categories, respectively. They played too fast, almost trying too hard to take advantage of our porous defense. Besides just playing harder, the best thing we probably did defensively was make it harder for them to cut and disrupt their rhythm a little bit. They gave us the chance to win the game with their mistakes and we took advantage of their mistakes.

5 Likes

Was a nice win, from a compete standpoint…don’t love that so many points had to come from Lairy, but when you look at it…it was a “quiet” 30 points in some regards as 14 maybe came from FT line (meaning it did not seem like all the O was flowing entirely through Mekhi). Some clutch shots by others as well.

D was better, but hard to love that last four teams or so have shot near 60% (including Bellarmine). Improvement nonetheless. Mabrey feeling more comfortable, Safford leader…Kamari is an important piece of the puzzle.

A win against Orville and Wilbur University would be a way better win as I think they are ranked significantly higher.

Not in RPI or NET or whatever it is these days, but still, we need to beat the Raiders at home, wonder if anyone there…might head up.

Wilbur U ranked like 260s, Miami 300ish, Bellarmine ~200

2 Likes

Interesting. I had no idea of these other sources. I use Jeff S.

Wright State is ranked in the upper 100’s. They’re higher than Bellarmine in every computer ranking I could find except RPI, because RPI is garbage. Sagarin, Massey, kenpom, teamrankings, NET

And again, you keep using this work need. It was nice to beat Bellarmine. It’ll be nice to beat a team ranked even higher than them.

4 Likes

Wright St is closer to Bellarmine than they are to Marshall or Indiana St.

That said, will be a tough game and a great win for this team. Look forward to being in Millett!

1 Like

For sure. Marshall has been sitting around 80 all year and Indiana St was 120 going into our game and now sits around 110. There’s definitely a separation of talent right around the 130-140 mark. Would love to get there soon.