Baseball 2023 Thread Updated

Looks like I’m the only one posting on the original thread. Can’t post more than three times in a row so I started a new one. I’ve been editing/updating my third post on that one but no one sees the updates.

The new season has started dismally.

We’re 0-7 and the pitching staff has given up double digit runs in 6 of those losses. We’ve lost early 3 or 4 run leads in several games.

This weekend we were swept on the road by a very mediocre North Alabama team, losing the finale 10-9 after leading 3-0 early in the game.

Baseball is the current black hole of Miami sports. Nothing seems to be going right! Sad!

1 Like

:disappointed: But thx for the updates!

Looks like the Danny Hayden experiment is about to end in disaster…

2 Likes

It doesn’t look good. This season is pretty much like football losing its first seven games 48-10.

1 Like

Looks like the nepotism card was played unsuccessfully.

1 Like

They’re averaging almost 8 runs scored per game and have a team OPS of close to .900. If they can get the pitching to improve from catastrophic to mediocre, they could still be decent.

2 Likes

True. The hitting is there for the most part but the pitching is atrocious for the second year in a row. Gave up double digit runs 16 times last year - 6 in the first 7 this year. Doesn’t seem to be anywhere near fixed.

1 Like
2 Likes

Thanks for update on Sam. Article behind BA paywall, but the headline and two sentences give a good picture.
I didn’t realize that he had injury issues. Came out of Miami ready to pitch in relief in big’s with two top pitches but Angels want him to be a starter. Thus, the need for another pitch or two. That, and teams don’t normally take relief pitchers that high in the draft. Hope he stays healthy. He’s got the stuff to make it.

1 Like

The Athletic has an article out about him, too.

If I had roster space, I would add him just for the hell of it!

Two people inexplicably did!

2 Likes

They invested a lot of cash in him. Angels can’t walk away yet…

2 Likes

Sam initially landed on the injured list due to biceps inflammation and stayed there for almost 2 months with back spasms. Thankfully not the elbow or shoulder and regaining his velocity this spring is a great sign.
Listed between 6 - 8 on Angels top prospects lists.

2 Likes

Here are the ugly numbers after 7 games going into this afternoon’s game at UC.

“Through seven games, Miami (OH) is batting .258 as a team and holds a 12.00 staff ERA, backed by a .954 fielding percentage.”

1 Like

This team has been in a slow crumble for the last several years. Pathetic pitching numbers and fielding %.
When the coach was named, I immediately wondered what would happen if he failed, considering the impact the Hayden family has had on MU bball. They have been major contributors since Joe, Danny’s grandfather (IIRC), a MU grad. Very close to Coach Bud Middaugh. Picked up the tab for the spring trip every season. Also, Bo’s best friend and drinking buddy.
Well, now the vice has tightened. We should not allow further degradation of this once proud/ powerful program.

We are averaging more than 7 runs per game, so maybe the offense is OK.

1 Like

I don’t like that .258 batting average against mediocre pitching staffs. I’m interested in seeing this afternoon’s game at Cincinnati. It looks like we might struggle to get the three game series with Siena in. They look to be a team struggling as bad as we are so it’s disappointing the weather might not cooperate. Would have been a chance to pick up a win.

I just wanted to point out that the UC game today is on ESPN +. Started at 4:30…3-3 in the second.

There is a really big crowd at UC.

This pitching staff is unwatchable. We are now down 9-3 in the second with no one out. It s the bottom of the second and about 1:25 minutes to play 2 innings.

2 Likes