Ball State Game Thread

So I guess when Tech beats UGA, we’ll have our ticket punched for the final four!

Smash the pumpkins!!!

:rofl:

I have a Neu near me and I swear they are related. I love wearing my gear and flying the flag this time of year. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For all on this site who want to give CM an extension right away I hoped they watched the game today. Our offense is again bad ! Again why no passes to our TE’s? Why no misdirection plays? Where are AV roll out options? Our O play calling sucks. Yes we have won 10 games which is great BUT we had one of the easiest schedules in the country- we only played three teams with records over 500- Miami ( FLA) where we played very poorly and our O play calling was terrible- and BG and OU. We should be 11-1 but for the terrible decision to have Brett run between the tackles at the two yard line against Toledo and then failing to gain a first down by running at third and two at midfield against Toledo when we were moving the ball well on the ground with Amos and AV running at a point into the 4th Q. Instead on third and two we tried a CM fade route special for an incompletion- a reoccuring mistake over the years. it made no sense to ask AV who had played very little in the season ( another CM mistake )before coming in after Brent’s injury to throw such a difficult low percent ball. We then punted and lost the game! As far as bowl games are concerned if you cannot get 6 win s in the MAC coaching at Miami you should leave. Also go back and look at our poor OOC record and our overall records the last few years - BTW we had a losing season last year and lost games to UAB, Buffalo, BG and Western that we should have never lost. Look at our previous seasons - a 500 football program! CM may be a great guy but he is not the right person to take our program to the next level.

2 Likes

Even after watching todays game I would be in favor of extension. We went 10-2. 7-1 in the MAC. I wish out backup quarterback played better today. I wish our run defense was better today

I think we have a good chance to win next week

1 Like

Be thankful you didn’t watch. Just accept the final score without details and move on. Don’t look at the Box Score.

All this is basically true but you have to give a coach that just got you 10 wins, a P5 win and wins over both rivals at least a one or two year extension. If not youre liable to start to lose a big chunk of your top recruiting class. And you for sure don’t fire a coach that just produced a 10-2 record.

1 Like

Thrilled for the win, but somebody has got to tweet this to the athletic department and the football team to light a fire under them

The offense is dying for a system upgrade. It’s like a spread offense for Windows XP

1 Like

Toledo also has a winning record.

2 Likes

I’m not among the biggest of CM fans, but dang, why are you so mad? Yes, our schedule hasn’t been the most difficult, though we’ve played 4 above .500 teams, not 3. You left out Toledo, who we very well might have beaten had Brett not gotten hurt. And regardless of how much you want that to be Chuck’s fault, it wasn’t. Yes, Martin’s OOC record had been abysmal, but he’s beaten 3 non-conference FBS teams in the last 3 seasons, 2 of which from P5 conferences. He took longer than I’d have liked to get our program back on track, but it seems he has done so. Why complain now, when we’re 10-2 and playing for a MAC title?

3 Likes

We’re 10-2 but we should be 11-1! What a loaded diaper complaint!

What is the “next level”? This is it. We’re here. The conference title is the ceiling. Deal with it.

1 Like

So is your answer to not extend him (giving him a lame duck final year) and give him one last chance to do better or be non-renewed, or to fire him?

It’s a potentially great time for Chuck to get a promotion and Miami to capitalize on the work he’s done to revive the program by making a slam dunk hire and going from good to great.

But we know that Coach would only be in Oxford for a couple years if he’s that good. And of course the hire could be a disaster.

I guess I net out with the bird in hand. I just wish Chuck would bring in an outsider to overhaul the offensive scheme.

2 Likes

This was their last 5 games coming into this week:

They had a rough start to the season, but they turned things around and aren’t a bad MAC team by any means.

We beat them

• In their house
  • In a rivalry game
  • On their senior day
  • In what was effectively their bowl game
  • In cold weather
  • Having already clinched a championship game spot
  • With a backup QB
  • Resting our best player
  • With a vanilla playbook
  • Aggressively trying to avoid another QB injury

This had all the makings of a trap game and we were still able to fight through it and get a win. We secured just our fourth 10 win regular season of all time. We’re underdogs, but we have a reasonable chance next week of winning the conference for just the second time in two decades and having our second most wins in any season ever. People are still complaining.

One of the downsides of being so shitty for so long is that a lot of the fans willing to stick around through all that are masochists who enjoy being upset and want to chase that feeling.

9 Likes

I honestly can’t believe we went 10-2, beat UC, beat OU, won the MAC East…and people are complaining.

Were you people not around for Shane Montgomery, Treadwell and the early Chuck years?

Yes, the offense is a rough watch. I wish it was better. But honestly, this was probably the 2nd or 3rd best Miami season in 25 years (and that’s only because Roethlisberger slides into the very beginning of that timeframe).

I’ve been up and down on Chuck over the years. He still drives me crazy with getting the plays in and burning timeouts (like he did twice today!). But what do you want the guy to do? He lost his starting QB and proceeded to win every game and lock up the division. He beat both his primary rivals (all three if you want to count the historic Red Bird).

Before this year it was put up or shut up time and he put up.

8 Likes

This is a fun topic. Record-wise, this year’s team is deserving, but I don’t think they’d crack the top-5 best teams of the last 25 years. Without much research, I’d put all 3 Ben years ahead, both Betts seasons, the 1999 team, and the 2010 team that went 10-4. So maybe this is 8th? If Gabbert stayed healthy it could’ve had a look at second-best.

This too. For a whole host of economics-of-the-game reasons, being prime Chris Petersen Boise State isn’t a thing any more.

3 Likes

You forgot one of the best Miami teams of the last 25 years, the 1998 squad that went 10-1, beat #12 North Carolina on the road, beat Army on the road, beat UC 41-0, and didn’t get a bowl bid. One of the great screw jobs of all time. That 1998 teams was outstanding. Mike Bath at QB, Travis Prentice, rushed for over 1700 yards and Trevor Gaylor had almost 700 receiving yards. And two great Miami LBs-Jojuan Armour and Dustin Cohen.

4 Likes

Not so fast! There have been 25 teams since that season. So they are outside the 25 seasons!

This team is better than 2010 in my opinion. That team had a lot of close MAC wins and all losses were by at least 3 touchdowns

We are nowhere close to as good as the teams under Hoeppner and probably not as good as Shane’s first year

So the best team in the last 18 years in my opinion

4 Likes