Awful loss

I like Coach Martin. He has his faults, but don’t we all? I’ve never coached college football. I don’t understand everything they do. I feel like I would do some things differently. I think last two years recruiting has gone well. We just need time. I don’t see a better option than Martin either. Press conference today seem to indicate “full steam ahead”. Do I guess we will see if he’s right about QB and Offense or not. Kent State is very good. That home winning streak is in danger.

2 Likes

We have the best record in the MAC in the last 4-5 years I believe, albeit a bad MAC east.

I’m as frustrated as anyone, but those saying that we haven’t performed to the level of recruiting are just wrong

3 Likes

I agree…I’ve said it before…I’m generally fine with Chuck, as we know it could be a bunch worse, it’s just this repetitive pattern of shortcomings, or mistakes or perplexing disorganization (timeout after timeout) in key games, seasons that wane on you as a “fan”…especially as said above I’m also in the camp that we have talent.

Another 6-6, 7-6 year here we come, “yeah us”…again circumstances of Brett, but coach not without blame there either.

Liking or not liking Chuck starts to become less of the picture…look at Wisconsin.

Obviously beating Kent would fix a lot, but think you poll this board, maybe 5 to 10% predict a win.

2 Likes

I’ll go back to an old post, I think Chick needs help, gray haired help. He needs an experienced OC and DC with P5 or NFL experience. Will need to pay more! I get that is the issue, but we simply make too many mistakes and don’t look prepared. I think we have good talent for the MAC, but we need to perform better on game day from a strategic standpoint.

2 Likes

This Kent game became so much more important because of us shitting the bed in Buffalo.

Here’s the thing…. If we won on Saturday (1-2 plays away), we are ECSTATIC and probably talkimg about a 9 win season. But because we can’t score from inside our own 10 yard line again, here we are.

Every game is going to be a dogfight and we can’t have margin for error.

4 Likes

Paul Chryst

1 Like

If we’re content with getting the best MAC talent and then producing consistent mediocre results, then let’s just all agree to live in the top half of the worst division of the worst conference and settle in at 5-7 or 7-5 for the duration and proudly own it.

2 Likes

When players see coaching mistakes that should not happen (like a double reverse that fails to work in the opponent’s Red Zone after you’ve basically driven the ball down the field by running hard) they lose confidence in themselves…and that takes the needed edge off a team (in Miami’s case, the offense).

What bothers me is that one rarely, if ever, sees CM take the blame for poor play calling, clock management or improper usage of time-outs, etc. OK, you get the message.

Mike Haywood addressed this potential problem by having two elder statesmen on his staff, one on D (Carl Reese) and one on O (Morris Watts).

4 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever heard Chuck say “It’s on me. I’ve got to do a better job of coaching.” I recall hearing a lot of successful coaches saying that.

3 Likes

No doubt, and I hear you too Nescacdad, it’s frustrating…Chuck has his MAC record, but continually loses close games that appear to be won, if managed properly (OU a couple years ago, EMU, Kent, UB…etc, etc)…the thing this year is, he gets an OOC/P5 win, albeit at a pretty down P5 team…still, with backup QB and then can’t beat UB.

Aveon is having his growing pains and/or has a ceiling passing, and while a great or solid QB showing may have won at UB, just not calling some of the worst OC sequences in the redzone and on final two series likely wins the game. If this was a one off type thing, not a big deal, but it repeats over and over and over…

So even with the OOC win against P5, things will balance out, and we’ll be ~6-6. I think CM has proven that’s his number with or without talent…apparently that is good enough for Miami.

1 Like

Well at least that would be one way for Miami to get a new podium!

2 Likes

One thing that has been pretty consistent during Coach Martin’s tenure is Miami tends to play to the level of the opponent. It seems as if every time Miami goes into a game as a favorite they barely win, I can only think of three or four games Miami has “blown out” an opponent. I don’t have the data right now but how many one score games have they played in the last nine years. It always seems as if Miami plays an 0-XX team or a team with one win Miami always seems to barely win or barely lose. There is no go for the big win mentality, it seems as if they are happy just getting by.

2 Likes

How many times has Chuck blown 1st and goal? Kent. BG, Army, UC (twice), Buffalo……. and each time we lost.
Miami has 8 qb on the roster and to think that 6 of them are not as good as Aveon……… unbelievable. Chick’s 550k salary through 2025 means we are stuck with him. Any multimillionaires out there willing to help? You

4 Likes

You forgot Louisiana.

1 Like

Since 2014, Chuck’s first season here, Miami is 52-43-1 against the spread (54.7%), 21st best in the country in that time span, and best in the MAC.

1 Like

Not Miami. The MAC! That’s the podium in question. Unless this problem goes way deeper….

3 Likes

Are you able to break that out by Miami being favored vs the underdog?

1 Like

Was wondering just this morning when you might weigh in.

Don’t we have the best record in the MAC over the last like 6 years?

4 Likes

Interesting stats.

I guess we all should be looking forward to legalized betting in Ohio come January to feel better.

I don’t want to beat the spread. I just want some wins.

1 Like