Akron game

“Miami (Ohio) is the clear underdog, so they’re hoping it’s the size of the fight that determines this one. Those sticking with them against the spread have guts, to put it politely, as the squad has let down bettors in their past three games.

The RedHawks are now 7-12 while the Zips sit at 13-6. A pair of defensive stats to keep an eye on: Miami (Ohio) has allowed their opponents to shoot 46.90% from the floor on average, which is the 10th highest shooting percentage allowed in college basketball. Akron’s defense has more to brag about, as they they come into the contest boasting the 26th fewest points allowed per game in college basketball at 62. So the cards are definitely stacked in their favor.”

1 Like

I have watched at least a game or two of every MAC team and I would say that the Zips have 2 of the 3 best players in the MAC in Freeman and Castaneda. This is the third year in a row where I think Freeman has been the best rebounder and rim protector in the MAC, and I think his all around game is better than ever. Castaneda is a great scorer ( 19 ppg). They also have Tribble, an excellent ball handling guard, and Hankerson, a transfer from NIU who has been a solid MAC player throughout his career. Remember that the Zips beat Kent in the MAC championship game last year and then all but knocked off UCLA in the NCAA tourney… And of course, their coach is the older brother of our coach.

EMU at Toledo at 7:00 on CBSSN tonight. A very nice feature is that at 6:45 they switched from Inside College Basketball to Toledo and did a preview and a couple of interviews. ESPN never does stuff like that for MAC games.

2-2 at the first TO. Lewis and Tribble wit a double technical which was total bullshit. It should have been a technical on Tribble, period.

2 Likes

Lewis and Safford both with 2 fouls. Also again Harrison and Etzler not on the bench.

Michael Reghi!

1 Like

Lairy 0-4

Just turned the game on when it was 4-2, but luckily it doesn’t look like he’s forcing much, just can’t hit. Ball is moving. Defense has gotten lucky with some open misses, but it’s looking like they’re reacting faster, just not always correctly. I once had a coach said if you’re going to screw up, do it while being fast.

Zips are 2 for 13 and Freeman has 2 fouls. Defense good and only giving them one shot.

10-2 run by Akron, TO RedHawks. Down 1.

Now Lairy is forcing.

21-17 Zips at the under 8 TO. Lairy 1 for 7, the rest of the team 5 for 11.

1-8 from three.

Miami up 1 with 3 minutes to go, Zips going to the line. 9-2 Miami run.

36-33 Akron at the half, as Castaneda hit a 3 to tie it with 40 seconds to go, then another at the buzzer to give them the lead.

Brutal end to the half. Back to back 3s by the Zips to take a 36-33 lead into the half.

Miami has taken 28 shots. Lairy has taken 10 of them. He has made 3.

34-36 at the half.

Damn, I wish I had gone to the Akron School of Communications.

Castaneda has 19 at the half. One man offense. Freeman got two fouls in the first 4 minutes and has only played 9 minutes, which is a huge reason we are in the game. Safford and Lewis both have 3 fouls. Mirambeau has 8 points and 6 rebounds, Lairy has 7 points, Williams gave a big lift with 6 points and 5 rebounds off the bench. He got flattened by a pick on the last play which led to the open 3 at the buzzer.