Adidas, Kanye West, anti-Semitism and College Sports

This is based on the assumption that they knew what it was, which the police report is claiming they didn’t (I don’t know whether there’s any evidence to support this). It can be very easy for people to have gaps in knowledge around customs that they didn’t grow up around (I had never heard of a sukkah until I saw it on an episode of The League a few years ago). It doesn’t seem implausible that a group of drunk guys walking home at 2 AM on a Saturday could have seen a tent and thought it would be funny to tip it over, without realizing what it was. This will all be sorted out in due time through the legal system.

2 Likes

What Q said. I grew up in a small rural town and never knew a Jew, an Arab, or a Latino. There was one black family in my high school. It was a great experience meeting all these different people at Miami. Even with all that, I just found out what a sukkah was this week on MiamiHawktalk.

3 Likes

Beyond all the big time programs logos we took down, the greatest gift being a member of men’s tennis gave me was being on a team with dudes of every religion. Short of snake worshiping, if you can name it, it was on the team and practiced or believed by someone. We also had a lot of different races. On car trips, we’d debate about life. Have disagreements. Ask questions. But, it was always respectful. Despite the fact we were all kids. To me, Kanye lost the plot. Being a minority means understanding you should never treat others the way you or your friends/family or historical lineage was treated if you were treated poorly. It means trying to set a better example. These kids made a mistake. Likely without realizing what they did from a hate standpoint. My wish for them would be a life of learning to know and understand others. So they grow as people. I am sorry to write so much but it’s true. Well, at least my truth.

4 Likes

Nice Post Yellow!

I’m reminded of the old adage my late dad shared with me: “Nothing good happens out on the streets after midnight.”

Youth, ignorance, alcohol and 2 am probably played a big part in this one. Maybe community service - helping Hillel do a project and sitting through a sensitivity session might do more good than a harsh penalty.

3 Likes

I hope these guys make friends with the folks they hurt. I also hope we can be top 25 in one of our major sports and pull frequent upsets in the others. Challenging, but never impossible.

2 Likes