Adidas, Kanye West, anti-Semitism and College Sports

Might Miami and other universities be reconsidering their relationships with Adidas if the company continues to maintain it’s relationship with West?

I expect to see pressure on universities from a number of fronts. The ADL is apparently very publicly “going to war” against the giant German sporting goods company. We currently wear its brand on all of our uniforms.

This might be emerging as a highly sensitive issue on many US campuses.

2 Likes

What is the AJDL? Thanks.

My bad. The acronym is ADL - it’s the Anti-Defamation League. I fixed my post.

2 Likes

Thanks. Yes, they are and rightly so.

2 Likes

Realistically if public pressure is so strong a university would be reconsidering their relationship with Adidas then Adidas would be under enough pressure to sever relationships with Kanye. So I don’t see a world in which Miami tries to end the relationship with Adidas.

1 Like

It might take a lot of universities threatening to abandon Adidas.

If any universities care about this, and I doubt they do, wouldn’t they likely have contracts with Adidas?

Dick’s Sporting Goods is reevaluating their relationship with Kanye and secondarily Adidas.

1 Like

Grumpy - We have a contract with Adidas. That’s why you see their logo on all of our uniforms.

Exactly, and those contracts are probably not easily broken.

1 Like

Why would you assume universities wouldn’t care about this type of situation or speculate that there would not be provisions for ending a contract - or suing the contractor for relief?

1 Like

I guess the actions of university athletic departments will tell us how much they care. Hopefully enough will put pressure on Adidas that they will be forced to act.

1 Like

If Adidas doesn’t do what I said they need to do, the screaming from universities is going to be both way above and far outside the universities’ athletic departments. Adidas already has a rather sordid legacy that will be dragged out into the open if they continue to insist on being be associated with and promoting an anti-Semitic celebrity…

1 Like

Tangentially related I suppose, on October 15, 2022, the Sukkah at Miami University Hillel was destroyed. There is video footage of the act.

1 Like

Awful. Is there a link to the video?

2 Likes

Here you go. From Miami University Hillel security cameras.

Identify them. Charge them. Jail them. Expel them–permanently–from Miami.

10 Likes

WTF

1 Like

Miami had a contract as an Adidas school from 2014-2021. A new contract was negotiated between the two parties, as Adidas had right of first refusal. The new contract runs from 2021-2026.

I don’t buy Ben and Jerry’s for my kids because of the distribution stance that they took in West Bank settlements and am vehemently opposed to any-semitism….but I’m reading the adidas situation very differently than the Kanye one

Sounds like adidas superimposed twitter handle onto the arsenal jerseys using AI and didn’t have the system intelligence to screen out offensive handle names? Or am I getting spoofed?

1 Like