Adidas, Kanye West, anti-Semitism and College Sports

As I understand it, Hawk, the current brouhaha is because of a lot of anti-Semitic comments West has recently been making on social media. Adidas announced it is “conducting a review.” He is apparently a billion dollar plus cash cow for them.

Adidas has lots of contracts with American universities and last spring they created an NIL network for 50,000 college athletes.

There is a lot at stake here for a lot of interests.

Here is Kanye’s response re Adidas. Bear in mind, so far, he is correct, Adidas has done nothing.

1 Like

I see. So the adidas thing isn’t the AI mishap with Arsenal but dropping phucktard…. That would certainly send a message if they did it. He’s definitely toeing the line with them. On one person can dictate to a corp, in my opinion. Unless your last name is Musk or Fink. Haha

1 Like

Dude is a complete POS!

2 Likes

I would be almost certain that Kanye’s contract with Adidas has a clause in it allowing termination if his behavior impinges the brand’s value. All celebrity deals have this type of language; I know this because I worked with many of them in my years in marketing. One of my experiences a few years ago involved an A-List athlete who was caught in a very ugly and public marriage infidelity; within a week, his image was removed from all our marketing materials and the contract was voided.

5 Likes

I would suggest other companies need to be like Balenciaga:

2 Likes

Here’s a story on the sukkah vandalism at Hillel. (Yes, I’m threadjacking.)

I am informed the guys in the video turned themselves in over the weekend. No one has been identified yet because OPD and MUPD are still investigating particulars of the incident.

1 Like

West’s agent quit today and ex-wife Kim K issued a statement condemning his hate speech. But still crickets from Adidas, who is starting to get some adverse pub because of its history as a Nazi regime war component producer. I bet a lot of universities might be getting a bit uncomfortable with their athletes repping that Adidas logo on everything they wear.

2 Likes

Please let me know when the first Adidas school condemns Ye or Adidas, much less drops them.

2 Likes

West’s idiocy not helping, but 60% drop in expected profits probably a bigger factor in the stock slide.

1 Like

OK. Will do.

Adidas has dropped him.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I dropped him years ago.

4 Likes
1 Like

4 Likes

1 Like

OPD statement on the sukkah incident.

My impression it that it seems a bit premature for the OPD to have issued a statement eliminating religious motive in the incident while at the same time offering the implication is that the three students may be charged with a felony. It would seem to me that issue of motive should have been adjudicated in court.

In my own opinion, if those students didn’t understand that their actions could be easily construed as religious and/or political intimidation, then they are probably academically challenged and not solid enough students to continue their education at Miami University.

3 Likes