A look at our current women’s basketball roster

Do we really need to be nervous about people moving to umass lowell and lynn university?

5 Likes

This coach could get a team of all walk on’s and I guarantee we would look more organized on the floor than last year. He will get a team here soon. Plenty of options out there. Even if under the radar.

2 Likes

That steady exodus of players - some good ones and some of marginal D1 talent - really speaks to the unacceptable culture Hendrix created during her time in Oxford. It also reflects her inability to recruit at the high mid-major level and her inability to coach technically.

And in a way it also reflects the trend of student athletes attending university based more on their attractiveness to a particular coach than their affinity for the university they choose.

Because of the portal’s impact on making college attendance transitional and commitment transactional, I expect this trend to continue - although I am hoping Coach Box can moderate it at Miami.

4 Likes

Hopefully we will hear soon on Box’s coaching staff. It certainly will be easier to recruit players, of which he needs almost an entire roster, with a staff in place.

2 Likes

Hendrix was without a doubt a horrible hire.

However, to be fair you cannot fault her recruiting as much as you have.

We have Hendrix recruits going to Dayton, Butler and Clemson (2) next year.

What she did with him on the floor is another matter. That was clear in year one of her tenure when she basically took Duffy’s 23-9 team and turned it into 11-21 in one year. That is not easy to do.

4 Likes

Amani Freeman was a Duffy recruit. What has been said by others on here is correct, in 4 years she recruited two very good MAC players. The other two notable players, Freeman and Scott, were the two recruits out of that great Duffy recruiting class who did not decommit. The other 3 girls from that class went to power conference schools ( Michigan, Illinois, and Xavier).

1 Like

I think it is quite fair and accurate to say Hendrix was a miserable coach. Her recruiting was terrible. Her coaching was terrible. Her on court coaching was terrible. It was an atrocious hire from the start. And let’s also be fair and accurate and say, it is possible to turn a team around quickly. Look at what Megan Duffy accomplished. In each of the two years before Megan Duffy the team lost 21 games, and won 10 and 12 respectively. In her two years at Miami, Megan Duffy’s teams went 44-20 with 2 WNIT bids. So a quick turnaround is possible. With the right HC and staff leading the program. Hopefully, Glenn Box is that person.

3 Likes

A couple of things are different this time than when Duffy took over. Then the team had improved late in the season when freshman Lauren Dickerson started to emerge as a star. Not a single girl left the team. So Duffy had an experienced group with great girls who were really hungry to win. Duffy did not bring in a single girl that year.

This time the roster has been decimated with the best talent leaving. On the other hand, now we have the transfer portal so Coach Box has a chance to rebuild quickly.

1 Like

Dick I wasn’t implying circumstances now are the same, although perhaps one could say Box has an advantage because he can build his roster almost from scratch. Build with players he wants. Sort of like how Steele has cleaned house on the men’s team in less than a year and now only has guys he recruiting or brought in.

2 Likes

And Hendrix’s off-court actions were also terrible.

1 Like

Sierra Morrow joining Wichita State US Basketball News, Scores, Stats, Analysis, Standings

That takes away 4 returning starters. Plus Peyton Scott is in the transfer portal.

Do we have two or three returning rostered players?

How much is even left in the portal and on the recruiting trail? I would assume most of the available players worth picking up have already landed somewhere. At this point, it seems like you’d mostly have to be going after players who either aren’t good enough or for whatever reason have scared off other suitors. It would probably make sense to pocket a few scholarships for the next recruiting cycle, but they’d still need to figure out how to put a team on the floor for this upcoming season.

The players are/ were smart enough to know that the “issues” were probably not addressed in a timely enough manner…so they left.

1 Like

Again, you’re making an assumption everyone knew what was going on. What happened was sexual assault. Someone in a position of power was “involved” with someone under them. And you think that someone was aware of sexual assault and didn’t go outside of the athletic department when they weren’t heard to begin with? If that was the case, this would be a massive title IX investigation. The fact that it isn’t means the department fired her as soon as they caught wind of it.

Peyton was awarded her degree, on this past Sunday at EHS graduation ceremony at Millet.

1 Like

And she also went through the Senior ceremonies before the last home game. However, earlier this season she had committed to playing year 5 with Miami. She actually has more reasons to do that than all those girls who have left. She is only about 300 points from becoming Miami’s all time leading scorer and with the 5th year because of covid not applying to any future players, she can set the record high enough that it could stand a long, long time, like Harper’s record has.

Also, no person who has ever transferred away from Miami has ever made it into the Hall of Fame, and no such player has ever and likely never will have their jersey retired and hung in the rafters. Certainly HOF is something she would get if she returns and the retired jersey is a reasonable possibility. It would certainly show her love of the university and Miami women’s hoops to come back and help bring the program back next year.

3 Likes

I hope the fact that she hasn’t committed anywhere indicates she is still considering returning. I’m sure she has certainly had some attractive offers.

2 Likes

@NESCACDAD Looks like four players on the roster: Chambers, Richason, Dai and Neal.

1 Like