2024 (so-called) off-season thread

I’m sure he’ll be at hawktawk

I wish they’d move the hawktawks back to Wednesdays- with it being on Thursdays hockey is barely ever on because any away week they’re already traveling

HockeyChica started a new job three months ago and we had a cruise scheduled for late July (first one ever!), and her work was nice enough to pay her for the eight work days off.

However, with the Ferris games moving to Friday-Saturday, that means she can’t get off work for that Friday. So she’s actually going to fly to Traverse City on Saturday morning with a layover in Minneapolis (only $104!), and I’m going to pick her up. Dedication!

Oh yeah, for anyone thinking about coming up, two nights at the two Big Rapids hotels that aren’t totally full is $565 and $579. So I’m actually staying in Cedar Springs, a half hour south, for $300 total.

When a hotel in Big Rapids, Mich., costs over 2 1/2 times more than a flight from CVG to Traverse City, you know we’re living in bizarre times.

4 Likes

Because I am truly getting that desperate for hockey, I tuned in to the Avs Rookie Faceoff game for a bit this afternoon and happened to see a familiar name! Apparently Derek Daschke has signed with the Eagles, the Avs farm team. He’s not on the roster that the Avs released, but a little googling found his announcement on his LinkedIn page (and that he got his MBA while he was at UMD, so good for him, lol).

3 Likes

Did Miami post much from NCHC Media Days? I saw like a 50 second clip but not much else. I know I’ve seen some interviews from other affiliations, but I kind of figured we’d have something ourselves.

1 Like

Other schools posted more behind the scenes than we did and I’m not surprised about that.

What I was really frustrated about was the fact the NCHC live with Ryan Sullivan was somehow not accessible to everyone on Instagram. Me nor any of my friends could view it and they still haven’t posted the replay like they said they would. What’s even worse is that the live for every other school worked and I got to watch all the players except ours😭

If you go on Twitter and look at the tag #NCHCAskRyan you can see the questions he answered during the Twitter takeover. I was pleasantly surprised with how many he got, other teams didn’t get as many and we’re usually the ones that never get questions

I do wish we got more Anthony Noreen content though with him being a new coach and all

https://x.com/miamioh_hockey/status/1834377302081228824?s=46&t=iks34uxihN5C4hJJ57kxog

https://x.com/miamioh_hockey/status/1834257470501326897?s=46&t=iks34uxihN5C4hJJ57kxog

https://x.com/miamioh_hockey/status/1836084070846976433?s=46&t=mPlcG4M_xdzFZMdSX_jqFA

1 Like

Not Assistant Head Coach?

It’s more a director of operations position than a coaching position.

2 Likes

So what’s the real story on this? The OU Club Head Coach made WAY more than our Assistant to the Head Coach last year. Yet this guy makes the move?

1 Like

Probably more likely to catch on in D1 NCAA coaching coming from a NCAA ops position than from coaching a ACHA team is my guess

1 Like

I don’t recall the exact salary for hockey ops last season but I thought it was close to what you guys said OU paid Mauron.

And Chuck is right, that’s what they’re calling the hockey ops job now, so he’s not an on-ice assistant. I think I heard the change in terminology is because that position is now classified different for sports budget purposes.

My comment was a poor joke referring to The Office

I knew what you meant.

Back to lurking.

1 Like

He made $62,100 last year at OU. Phillips made $36,000 last year at Miami. I get that Miami is a better job than a Club team, but that’s a big hit. Perhaps we raised the budget for that role? Or something happened at OU we don’t know about?

1 Like

In coaching sometimes you have to make that financial sacrifice to get on the path you want to be on.
If he has aspirations of coaching at the NCAA level or higher he can’t hang around Athens forever just because it’s a little bit more money.

3 Likes