2024 Football Season - The quest for the CFP

I think the pods were just supposed to be the protected rivalries. I dont think you would schedule the rest of the games just in pods. I am not even sure the math would work on that…too tired to think through it

2 Likes

Miami did play at Hawaii in 2001.

2 Likes

7.5 hours, 6 hours, 6.5 hours and 7 hours on a bus one way. May not wander “far” but a lot of time sitting on a bus.

2 Likes

You could. Your own pod is 2 games, then you play two other pods for 6 games and don’t play the entirety of the final pod.

My gut instinct is that would be worse for potential tiebreakers by guaranteeing the top team from each pod wouldn’t have played the top team from another but not super sure on that.

Either way the important part is that now every possible matchup will happen twice in three years, which is a much better system imo

1 Like

My kid played D3 hockey and baseball at Hamilton College. They played Colby and Bowdoin in Maine. It was a seven hour bus ride each way. Their closest game was Williams - three hours away. The rest of their conference games were between four and five hours away in Connecticut, Massachusetts and Vermont…Kids playing Juniors out west have multiple 5-9 hour bus rides all winter - in inclement weather. For a mid-major football program, Miami’s football travel - longest trips this season are two 5 1/2 hour rolls - is light to moderate.

3 Likes

Anyone know the ath dept policy on travel limits for distance or hrs? Most schools have a max number of hrs or miles they’ll send kids on busses.

It would work for one team but could it work for 12 teams?

Yes. All teams would play 1 home, 1 away within their pod and need 3 more home and 3 more away.

Let’s say you have pods A, B, C and D

A plays: @ B, vs C
B plays: vs A, @ D
C plays: @ A, vs D
D plays: vs B, @ C

Then each year you rotate the pods so that they go through home/away/not playing against each of the other pods.

3 Likes

From November:

Sorry tried to delete but cant

We’ll have to do it without Bowen :sob:

I don’t know about the others, but McLane Stadium (Baylor) seats just over 45,000, slightly less than the 50,000-seat capacity of Baylor’s old Floyd Casey stadium.

1 Like

9th in the country in returning production.

4 Likes

That early game in Oxford with UMass looks like it could be competitive - like last season’s crazy game in Amherst. Brett, Rashad and Gage were on fire in that one. Two of them are gone. Let’s hope Brett recovers completely. We’ll definitely need him.

1 Like

Those stats are even more encouraging than I expected, plus Toledo,Ohio, and BG are all rated poorly.

2 Likes

It ended up getting competitive due in large part to Miami mistakes (self-inflicted turnovers and blown assignments in the secondary). We were actually well on our way to a blowout in that game. Those mistakes weren’t happening as the season progressed.

1 Like

Second among G5 schools trailing only…

Kennesaw State. That perennial G5 power.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s UAss. We’re going to kill them.

I’m pretty sure Sackman and Theman hang out together!! :rofl:

1 Like

They’re moving up to CUSA this season with about a 8,300 seat stadium.