2024 Football Season - The quest for the CFP

The MAC future schedules announcement is due out in the next 10 days.

Demo on Ryan Field starts end of month.

2 Likes

Thanks. I assumed it was imminent once approval to proceed was granted. This confirms that.

Can somebody tell me if we are supposed to be good next year?

Yes. We are the only one of the top teams who has their #1 QB returning ( although it remains to be seen if he can return from a bad broken leg and be the same athlete). We also have most of our starters back and have replaced those who left with a transfer portal guy from a Power conference school. We also have a strong group of incoming freshmen.

In the portal age, I think everything is a big question mark for most teams, including us.

We’re going into next season with an often injured QB coming off his most serious injury. Our backup QB has basically played in one game - the monsoon bowl. We haven’t picked up an extra QB from the portal. Our OL returns most of last year’s unit.

We lost our top receiver, our top edge rusher and our 1,000 yard RB to the portal. Several key defensive players have run out of eligibility but our freshman all American DB is staying. Our ST returns intact but without their coach. We’ve only got two identified players coming in from the portal. One of them is a RB and one is a defensive Edge replacement. Both are from Purdue.

Our head coach and most of our coaching staff is still onboard so all things considered we should be considered a strong MAC championship contender. That’s just my guess based on what I observed last season, what I’ve read and the information Miami has released.

I think other G-5 teams like San Jose, New Mexico State, UTEP, JMU, Buffalo, Troy, Tulane, USA -and successful P5 teams that replaced coaching staffs are far less predictable than Miami.

Shoot so we lost Woullard?

Yep. To Oklahoma

1 Like

Our opponents for ‘24, ‘’25, and ‘26 have been announced on the Miami site. We go to the Glass Bowl this season.

1 Like

Away games are: Northwestern, Notre Dame, EMU, BGSU, Toledo and Ball State. That has to be a strong contender for the fewest miles travelled by an FBS team next year.

5 Likes

At Toledo and BG is tough. Hard to know what Toledo will be after the losses via the portal and graduation, but they’re never bad. BG had a lot of momentum at the end of the year and had minimal portal losses.

1 Like

Yep. A travel schedule tailored to David Sayler’s tastes. All basically at the same north lattitude and none longer than a five hour bus ride.

Is it common for the MAC to release its schedule three seasons out?

1 Like

With realignment, most conferences seem to have been doing that. MAC’s switch to four pods and no divisions probably prompted that this year.

Look at 2025-
@ Wisc
@ NIU
@ CMU
@ Buffalo
Enjoy 2024 cause they are gonna wear out the tires on the buses in 25.

Yes, that is tough. I would say the top MAC championship contenders would likely be Miami, Toledo, and BG next season.

3 Likes

Everything is along the northern tier…plus a trip to Athens and to UC. We still don’t wander very far away from Oxford. Miami and UMass last year were exceptional. We almost never go south anymore and haven’t been to the West Coast for a regular season game since 1984 - 40 years ago.

As someone who likes driving to every game, I love the easy drives this year.

3 Likes

Tailor made for you and anyone who lives near Fort Wayne.

The MAC went to pods yet we’re not playing full pods (except our own).

1 Like