2023 Spring Portal

Well now he’s denying redshirts practice film for their use in the transfer portal, which strikes me as a particularly nasty thing to do for guys who didn’t play a down in publicly available game footage because they were redshirting.

And he went on Pat McAfee and compared players to furniture.

Chuck, pardon my ignorance. Is that a common practice? I am surprised that coaches would voluntarily surrender practice footage.

It’s not really denying them. When they hit the portal they no longer have access to the football facilities and it’s amenities. They are no longer part of the team. When you quit your job you no longer have access to your work computer. Same though process here.

I am aware of that but my guess is very few schools are honoring the scholarships if the player leaves the team, or is no longer playing, unless it was due to injury.

1 Like

Saw an article where they are now releasing practice film.

Some coaches allow it, but it’s not universal practice. What’s at issue here is practice footage from last fall under the previous coaching staff, so there’s no reason to deny the tape other than dickishness.

2 Likes

Just noticed Deion has run off three **** players since April 1. One of his accretions is a ** from Kent State. Not sure how that’s building for success.

First time I’ve seen this page…

How do we go from ranked 2nd in the MAC on commits previously to 9th since commitment day?

It has to be taking account of transfer portal commits and I assume the rest of the MAC has been active in bringing in higher rated commits there.

I don’t buy this ranking

Konnor Near a D2 All American LB from Ferris State on Twitter saying he has a Miami offer. 2 years of eligibllity left.

A lot of D1 interest. Offers from Texas Tech, Georgia Tech, Washington State, Duke, App State, BG, Toledo etc.

3 Likes

Excerpts from Colorado.article on The Athletic site:

The writer interviewed five P5 football roster operations managers anonymously. Perhaps this provides some clarity on the current transfer environment.

“Sanders is executing this overhaul at a time when transfer rules are changing. The NCAA has made it much tougher for underclassmen to gain immediate eligibility on their second transfer. In recent years, it was [easy to get a waiver by citing no participation opportunity at your previous school. That won’t work anymore. Obtaining that eligibility waiver now requires documented issues of mental health, assault, discrimination or disability. Undergraduate transfers joining Colorado have two options if they need to transfer again: Get their degree first or sit out a year in residence.

There’s a potentially greater issue coming soon. The NCAA is concerned enough about the graduation rate of transfers that they want to hold schools accountable. Starting this year, the undergraduate transfers Sanders signs will have their financial aid guaranteed for their full five-year period of eligibility and count against Colorado’s 85-man scholarship limit until they graduate or go pro.

There are ways to get around that if the player transfers again or is medically disqualified, but recruiting staffers recognize they must be careful when taking transfers who aren’t close to graduating.

“If we take an undergrad transfer, we now view it like you’re stuck with this guy for the rest of their career,” the first Big 12 DPP said. “The rules are written in a way to encourage you being stuck with them. If they take 25 transfers and 15 of them stink, there’s really no way to get rid of those guys.”

Added one ACC general manager, “It’s gonna be interesting for these schools taking so many transfers. It could be really bad down the line if you miss on guys.”

2 Likes

If Miami gets a commit from a Grover Far, that would be perfect

2 Likes

Ben Bryant transferred to Northwestern so it looks like Emory Jones, formerly of Florida and Arizona St., will be UC’s starting QB. It seems like there’s an opportunity here with an underwhelming QB paired with an underwhelming first-year coaching hire.

2 Likes

BEAT UC!

2 Likes

My nephew who was 3 yr starter at UC and I were talking at a Easter and he said this is the year we have a good shot at beating them. They’ve lost a lot of their players top shelf players from the last four years and not everybody is all that excited about their coach. On top of that they’re joining the big 12 and with Pitt the week before us and Oklahoma the week after us, their big britches against the little bitches (that would be us) selves might be overlooking us.

As an aside, my nephew’s other kiddie (well he’s about 6’4" 290 so not sure of kiddie part) who’s 2nd team on OU’s O line said their QB Rourke is back 100% with no rust…full speed.

1 Like

Nescacdad, that take on the portal really puts another layer to it. If/when a coack picks up a kid who winds up being a portal flop they can’t just run him off and tell him visit the portal and have his scholarship to give out again next year it sounds like. Compare that to a sophmore whos been recruited and on scholarship and who’s never going to crack the 2 deep. They can tell him to hit to portal, pull his scholarship and have it to give out next year. They’ve effectively give portal players a 2-4 year scholarship that’s guaranteed. That is if I’m reading your note right. We’ve all been reading about kids on their 3rd and sometimes maybe 4th school and that baloney is going to end. Yea!

2 Likes

Rourke is ranked the #1 QB in the MAC…

Looks like a major sea change.

A healthy Gabbert would mean 8 plus this season. But Brett seems to be fragile .

1 Like