2023 Spring Portal

UC’s Ben Bryant back in the portal. Wonder if he’ll be joining Luke in Madtown?

1 Like

Possible transfer from Mississippi State to Miami? There is another one at Auburn considering Miami and Toledo.

1 Like

I think Bryant has successfully abused the system.

1 Like

The hockey team isn’t the only avalanche in Colorado this week! At least one of the guys on CU’s exit list is showing Miami as a possible landing spot.

2 Likes

I’m sure having the Kopp connection doesn’t hurt Miami in recruiting these Colorado players. We could use an interior DL!

1 Like

Blues - That’s what I was thinking. Apparently their most productive WR and RB are in the portal now, too.

2 Likes

Colorado went 1-10 last year - I am not sure they had any productive players :grinning:

New NCAA president Charlie Baker gave a speech to athletic directors yesterday where he said that student-athletes may not like it if they become employees, a reference to the fact that employees can be fired.

But if Deion can get rid of 18/23 rising sophomores (and 31 players overall) in one spring, what’s the difference?

4 Likes

I heard Charlie paraphrased as saying some poll showed most student athlete don’t want to be employees of universities. But good point. The portal has made it extremely easy for new coaches to run the leftovers they inherited off.

True but they were playing against PAC12 teams, not Akron. There are most definitely some on that roster who can contribute in G5’s worst conference.

2 Likes

Colorado now has 16 players on scholarship, per beat writer Brian Howell on Twitter. Everyone else either graduated, voluntarily left, or was run off by Deion.

1 Like

He had a reputation for having one of the biggest egos in all of baseball. I wonder if that’s carrying over to coaching.

1 Like
1 Like

The portal numbers paint a bleak picture. On the On3 transfer site, out of 69 teams ranked for transfers, only two programs have taken in more players than have left. For the overwhelming majority, exits exceed accretions by at least two to one. Colorado’s numbers are eye-popping with 48 out and 29 in. Northwestern took in 1 and 10 left. There are going to be a lot of college football players not playing football anymore - or possibly playing at lower levels.

1 Like

Which also means if they continue college, they are going to be paying for it on their own.

2 Likes

And I would bet most of the kids in the portal are not from wealthy families. It’s becoming the new dirty underside of major college athletics, especially in football.

1 Like

When my son was a young athlete, playing baseball and basketball, I tried to teach him how to act when on the court /field and when he wins or loses. As an example, I told him he could be a “Sanders”–either Barry, then with the Lions, or Deion. But that I much preferred he act and present himself as Barry, not someone who still calls himself “Prime” (see his jacket at Colo). His Prime years are long gone. I hope the AD, pres and BoT are happy with the dumpster fire he has set there. If my son was a recruit, and Deion contacted him, I’d tell him that Deion can’t be trusted. He doesn’t like you after a year, tough. You’re gone. Yea, they all do it. But not with the venom Deion has used in pushing guys out. And now, he won’t let a transfer use his tape to get another gig? What kind of BS is that?

3 Likes

I am guessing that Colorado is very happy with their hire. They had 50k at their spring game. The prior team was terrible

I dont know if anyone has noticed but Miami basketball has basically transitioned everyone that wasnt a Steele recruit- i dont know whose choice it was but I am more optimistic now than before

3 Likes

The rules have changed in that a school that pulls an athletic scholarship can still have the school honor that scholarship and not count against the 85.

And why are people surprised or upset that Sanders is running off as many players from the old regime? He said this was going to happen. The team went 1-11 last year. Why would you want the bad players you didn’t recruit to stay in your program?

And yes Steele has done the same thing in one year (maybe not as brashly) but aren’t we getting excited about the new talent he’s bringing in?

3 Likes

With Chip Kelly, Kyle Whittinham, Kalen DeBoer, Lincoln Riley, Jonathan Smith, and Dan Lanning - plus a number of younger up and coming coaches - already on their way to either sustaining or rebuilding PAC 12 juggernauts, I wouldn’t bet the whole Big C” Boulder ranch of Ralphie and Prime.

Bow Down!

1 Like