2023 Football Season

Huge congrats to the program for becoming bowl eligible already! Hopefully they can finish strong and get to Detroit!

2 Likes

We should get the announcement on the Ohio game kick time tomorrow. Im hoping for noon.

1 Like

The CBS 133 now has us ranked at #63 overall - #13 in the G5. That’s Top half overall and Top 20% of the G5 - right where I feel we should be annually as a program. Keep it going, boys!

5 Likes

Ohio game is 330pm on cbs sportsnet

2 Likes

Yep. I just checked FBS Schedules. That’s what they have posted.

Other publications that rank all 133 FBS teams:

Sporting News #43
The Athletic #58
College Football News (CFN) #55
Athlon Sports #60

The computers aren’t as kind to us though as Sagarin has us #81 and ESPN SP+ has us #80.

3 Likes

Actually the Massey Composite of computer rankings has us at #52. Ahead of Minnesota and Prime’s Colorado Buffs.

1 Like

The computers are ludicrous. ESPN rankings have UC ahead of us by a considerable margin. It’s stupid.

2 Likes

GIGO

Michael larkin teach a miami wide receiver my favorite personal foul filpibgvthe ohio students the middle finger

Don’t the computers take the previous season into consideration for some reason?

1 Like

Some computer rankings do, yes. I know SP+ does (or rather, it factors in returning production), but it has less impact on the rankings as you play more games.

And it’s not for “some reason”, it’s because it makes the predictions more accurate.

3 Likes

Early in the season I can see that, but we’re at/past the midway point. What does a game from 13 months ago matter now? You are who you are.

3 Likes

Well, in aggregate (at least for SP+), the guy who does the rankings has found that it’s more accurate at predicting games if that type of historical information is included, which is the goal of his rankings. It also includes data about how a game was won/lost which can mean that a team can drop even if they win, or go up even if they lose.

You can have computer rankings based only on the current season and win/losses. One example is the Colley Matrix which infamously picked UCF as the national champion (which I liked).

It just depends on what exactly the goal of the rankings is.

1 Like

The muhawk Matrix:

#1 Miami RedHawks
#2-#133 Everyone else

FSMWkxaXMAEEKJH

3 Likes

What are the best rankings by conferences for CFB? Curious how the MAC compares to the new CUSA, AAC, etc.

1 Like

I think very highly of the sagarin rankings. It is a computer model and so free from any preconceived biases(as the season goes on preseason ratings are purged from the formula).

Based on that we are well ahead of Conference USA but below everyone else.

3 Likes

As previously noted, I studied adult film making in college so I’m not one to pontificate on the maths, but the idea that computer algorithms can’t be biased is not true. Put another way, Kitt was good, yet Karr was evil. Why? The humans working behind each algorithms had different motives. Granted, this was some time ago, but I digress. Ps. Michael was a terrible driver and I sorta wish Kitt had been honest with him about that.

2 Likes

Chris Vaninni posted his mid season evaluation of every G5 conference on The Athletic site. He has Miami as the surprise team of the MAC and Brett as the POY so far. He has Toledo beating Ohio again in Detroit.

1 Like

Not too surprising imo. We’ve beaten teams with a combined record of 10-31 at the moment. UC is a nice win, no doubt, but they are way down from where they’ve been.

2 Likes