2023 Football Season

It’s Big Ten, isn’t a basketball blue blood, is in a giant metro area, has a gorgeous new IPF, and has a new stadium plan in progress. It’s a tough job, but better than Duke.

At this stage this is very different than Paterno (where numerous ex-players told Joe Pa about abuse in the program and he ignored it) versus Fitz (where supposedly no one told him about what was going on). To your point this falls on him at some point since he’s ultimately the head coach, and will come out in the legal process whether it’s bunk or legit. Important to note that his attorney Dan Webb has a reputation for being one of the most cutthroat litigators in the nation.

1 Like

Additionally, hazing would have been in front of several team members, and it would be difficult to keep literally hundreds (if not over a thousand) young guys quiet even after they graduated (keep in mind, Fitzgerald was coach for 17 seasons).

Jerry Sandusky wasn’t molesting children in front of his teams.

If I ever win the lottery, I’ll name by yacht “Class Action Litigator”.I’m not a lawyer, and have nothing against lawyers, but it’s a better choice than say “Seaclusion” or “Sea-rinity

Growing up in a Penn State family, it was difficult to watch the unraveling of Joe’s legacy. We had season tickets and went to most home games, and a handful of away games each year.

Al, of course, is now only a disgraced former senator whose creepy behavior was even recognized by Chuck Schumer.

However, Franken & Davis was hilarious. “I hate you Daddy. I hate you Daddy.”

I would look at Sherrone Moore and Willie Fritz

The portal and Covid have changed recruiting. Less teams are filling rosters with regional talent.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/nperkins96/status/1679249987652276224?s=46&t=6o6QN4eHhEVbIIqyNNUj5g

https://twitter.com/pbsimpulse9/status/1679260771673358339?s=46&t=6o6QN4eHhEVbIIqyNNUj5g

I am just going to weigh in here if you don’t mind. First of all, I don’t know what “hearsay” you are referencing. Further, are you aware of what is and is not hearsay, and the hearsay exceptions? Not trying to be a smartass, but I know attorneys who can’t answer correctly what is hearsay. Secondly, there was a full scale investigation done by a law firm hired by Northwestern to investigate these claims. They poured over a significant amount of data, conducted interviews etc. As NW should have done. You hire an independent firm to investigate. So this wasn’t some snap decision made. Now that being said, I do think it is fair to ask why Fitzgerald was initially just suspended and not let go immediately. Absent some new additions to the aforesaid (legalese :wink: ) investigation perhaps the cleaner step would have been a dismissal not a suspension.

And it’s good to develop your own style in the courtroom, so here is mine! :rofl:

3 Likes

Somewhat my point on the whole, “ties to the midwest” argument.

2 Likes

Dennis Dodd with his annual hot seat rankings of all FBS coaches from 0 (untouchable) to 5 (hot seat), Chuck is at 3 after being at 2 last season.

Never mind that it’s a moot point now… it’s quite crazy Pat Fitzgerald went from a 0 to a 4 in just one season even before the hazing stuff became public.

1 Like

Does Miami Ohio have football beat writers? Would appreciate it if you could give me some names to follow on Twitter. Thanks.

I don’t know if I would necessarily call Mark a “beat” writer for Miami, but he’s the closest thing we have to it.

https://twitter.com/markschmetzer?s=21&t=Mwc894NmZi2sl3ixPUgjFA

Jack Schmelzinger does a good job for the student newspaper as well.

https://twitter.com/jackschmelznger?s=21&t=Mwc894NmZi2sl3ixPUgjFA

But you aren’t going to find a ton of Miami coverage out there.

3 Likes

Welcome! For MU sports fans, this is basically the secret planet where the rebel base exists. It’s fun though and seems to be growing so you’ll enjoy.

4 Likes

The late Pete Conrad was kind of

1 Like

I think Tom Archdeacon just did an article on Glenn Box. He used to do a lot more on Miami back in the day.

1 Like

The Athletic’s Stuart Mandel was asked to pick three possible G5 over P5 upsets for 2023. He suggested Toledo over Illinois, Coastal over UCLA and this one:

“Miami (Ohio) at Cincinnati (Week 3). I have no idea whether the Redhawks will be that good, but I do fear the Bearcats are going to take a big step back in Scott Satterfield’s first season, especially on offense. It would be admittedly cruel, though, if Cincy finally gets into a Power 5 conference only to lose to a Group of 5 foe.“

I’m down with these!

4 Likes

2005 is way too long ago. My best friend is a UC grad. Not fun

2 Likes