2023 Football Season

New hire for the MUMB Director position is Dr. Ryan Yahl, coming from an assistant director position at Texas A&M Commerce. Went to BG for undergrad/masters so he has MAC roots.

4 Likes

Let’s give him a few weeks to settle in, then tell him about the board and ask him about the status of the Ohio-Miami band relationship and about travel funding options, especially this year to Athens.

1 Like

Looks like he built a strong band in Texas - similar to Miami’s style but more emphasis on brass. I like that. TA&MC is an FCS football program in the Southland Conference.

1 Like

It has nothing to do with band vs DJ. I’ve been going to Miami games through a few decades. The set just hasn’t changed. How many times can one band play fat bottom girls? Other bands are keeping things fresh and bring creative, Miami’s has been bland and predictable with their in game music. Hopefully this new band director can get some new life in it because I think the band itself it pretty solid.

3 Likes

School Spirit!

The College Tour came to Miami in 2021. Here’s the segment they did on school spirit.

1 Like

Who had this happening on their list of 2023 predictions?

That’s terrible to hear (if true). And if true, it’s likely the end for him as who could do their job well being policed all the time. After we go ten wins and get a top 25 ranking this year, enter Chuck as the NW head coach? I might play a prop on that just because it’s so logically insane.

Well…

“As a coach, Fitzgerald has a zero-tolerance policy for hazing.”

To be fair, living in the early 2000s would work for both Miamis.

3 Likes

Not to be too cynical, but the odds of this coming out while Fitzgerald was still winning bowls and division titles would’ve been a bit lower.

1 Like

The Daily Northwestern got details of the hazing from a former player. These details, of course, are omitted from the official report put out by NU’s chosen law firm.

This is all a bad deal and I wouldn’t be shocked if he gets let go. He had to know. It’s 2023.

I would think this will make it very difficult to recruit. And it was already tough to recruit to Northwestern given their rigorous academics. I see little choice but to let Fitzgerald go.

2 Likes

This is why when Chuck gets ten wins this year, a win over a P5 and a MAC championship (and I’m drunk so it’s going to happen) he becomes the next coach at NU. Assuming Fitz isn’t fired first.

This situation is oddly similar to what happened at New Mexico State last basketball season. James Beck was playing his final season for this team when the season was abruptly ended and the coach fired. I haven’t seen any indication whether he either was or was not involved. He was not one of the plaintiffs.

Coincidentally, I attended the Aggies’ final game of the season in Las Cruces. The team then flew to a game in California the next weekend and was called home without playing and the season immediately cancelled.

The fired NMSU coach landed a job last week as the head coach of a JC in Missouri.

PS - This kind of BS is expensive!

Gabbert and Salopek…

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/mid-american-conference-announces-2023-football-media-day-attendees-mac-kickoff

not good at all

1 Like

opps replied to wrong post, sorry

Strange case getting more strange. Apparently lots of members of the team pushed back yesterday in a letter. The Athletic has a brand new article quoting the University President as saying he “probably overreacted.” Not very Northwestern-like.”

1 Like

That letter from the players was a piece of work. “We don’t haze people. Also, Coach Fitz wasn’t there for the hazing.”

1 Like