2023 Football Season

Phil Steele has us finishing tied 2nd in the East with UB (behind OU), and 8th on his list of Most Improved teams nationally (82% of his historical picks have matched or beat their previous season’s wins). Computer ranks us 95th of all FBS teams, behind Toledo (53) and OU (69) in the MAC. Our Special Teams were ranked 26th in the nation while OSU is 66th, suck it Buckeyes.

MAC ranked 10th of conferences for the 2022 final rankings and 2023 projections, both ahead of C-USA (he counts Independents as their own group). Toledo ranked as the 3rd best G5 team. UC is picked last in the Big 12, if there’s any season for us to break the streak it’s this one.

1 Like

Steele is the only 1 that still gives the MAC detailed write ups. Hope he is right about improvement

2 Likes

Ourlads Opening Two Deep for Miami

“IMO, the band doesn’t add a great deal to home game atmospheres”

How old are you? Do you prefer DJ Steve or something?

I expect this guy to be in the DL mix…

2 Likes

Me too. Didn’t mean to hit laughing face.

Yeah, it’s a pretty ridiculous assertion especially given the past 15 or so years for the program. Our crowds have been lousy on a lot of weeknights, without the band the broadcast microphones would probably pick up someone sneezing in the West Millett lot.

1 Like

“Da_ Da_ Da_ Daaaa_DaDaDaDa, Let’s Go Hawks” is ok with you on 4th down when our punt teams is on the field? Playing that on 1st or 2nd down would be a major improvement. I don’t think that’s asking much.

I was just going over our upcoming schedule, reading a bit about each opponent, and the first thing that jumped out to me about facing Miami Fl in the first game is that HC Mario Cristobal has hired two brand new coordinators after last year’s disappointing campaign. Shannon Dawson, previously OC of Houston, and for DC, our old pal, and Godaddy.com Bowl champion, Lance Guidry.

Now let’s go get our damn scalp!

2 Likes

Actually looks like a nice squad, interesting if we can get enough play on the outside at WR (Reg Virgil showed some flashes, Kevin Davis is exciting, Miles is poised and big, Coldiron a pass catcher so the pass game has pieces).

If OL comes together, it’s big at in the middle = run game (there are some surprises at RB as well)…and DL looks to be dominant, if another DT emerges.

2 Likes

Skins, you’re being awfully optimistic these days. Should we be worried? :wink:

In another article, the Sporting predicts we’ll be playing a post-season game in Detroit - not in the MACC but against Maryland in the Quicklane Bowl.

That would put a companion confusing bookend on the season: The Battle of the Miamis in Game 1 and the War of the beveled M logos in the bowl game.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s not cringe-worthy at all.

2 Likes

The 3rd Saturday in October? Gameday will be in Tuscaloosa where Groucho Marx shot the elephant in his pajamas

This from a current Hurricanes article…

It would seem many down in Coral Gables have already put our game in the books as an automatic win for them. I’m guessing they are already focused on Jimbo and Texas A&M coming to town the following weekend.

Vegas has us going into the game as 17 point dogs. That’s probably a good thing…enough points to make CG overconfident but enough caution among the bookies that we’re not predicted to be a 35 point blowout. Maybe we can be this season’s MTSU for Sebastian and the boys!

Here’s their take:

“While a strong roster is crucial, the Hurricanes’ schedule also provides an opportunity for them to make a statement and gain momentum. The season opener against Miami (OH) allows them to kick off with a much needed win from the jump and build confidence. However, it’s the subsequent clash and rematch from last season against Texas A&M that presents a true test.”

I’d be living in the early 2000s too, if I was UM

2 Likes

Toledo should be favored in 6 of their first 7 and we should be favored in 5 of our first 7, but @ Illinois is a very tough matchup for Toledo and I can’t envision us sweeping Coral Gables and UC. If we both go in at 6-1, we’d very likely get national TV, but I’d be shocked to see GameDay given some of the matchups that week (Penn St @ Ohio St, Tennessee @ Alabama, Michigan @ Michigan St).

Quinoaburger

Yep. You’re probably right. Tennessee at Bama is the traditional third Saturday in October matchup snd it should be a blockbuster this season.

They’re probably more likely to go to Athens on Halloween weekend Saturday if that’s a game of ranked G5 teams with a conference divisional championship on the line. That would be wonderful but it wouldn’t get GameDay to Oxford for the first time - would be like the time GameDay went to BG when we were playing them. All the focus was on BG.

1 Like

They went to Bg because there were no trees and when the tv crew comes they have an armada of telescoping antenna etc. legend says that’s why Bg has no trees to this day. Duh!

A post was merged into an existing topic: A look at our current women’s basketball roster