2023 Draft

As the draft is upon us, I have a question for the forum.

Do you think Pace and Phelps will go any higher in the draft than they would have if they stayed at Miami?

1 Like

First things first: what round to they get drafted: I say neither goes above the 5th round. Pace goes there and I think Phelps in the 7th also, I love those guys and hope I’m wrong and they go higher.

That is why I phrased it “will go any higher in the draft”, which takes into account not getting drafted at all. Personally, to answer my own question, I think the answer is no. They will be drafted (or not drafted) any higher than if they stayed at Miami.

2 Likes

I saw a mock complete draft the other day. If I remember correctly only about 7 MAC players were drafted…and nobody from Miami. A big drop off since Eric Fisher from CMU went #1 overall.

1 Like

Unfortunately it’s going to be harder to get drafted out of the MAC when you transfer out of the MAC. Seems this is how things will start to trend…

1 Like

Agree. With the MAC’s better players transferring up routinely now what’s left in the conference will find it more difficult to hear their names called.

2 Likes

Maybe even lower because they got more regular scrutiny at the larger school?

1 Like

I don’t think Pace is voted an All-American if he stays at Miami. So I do think it improved his exposure and draft stock. Phelp…probably not as much.

2 Likes

Pace - Yes
Phelps - No

2 Likes

I think Pace will go higher than he would have. I don’t think Phelps will.

1 Like

Yes, both will be drafted higher than if they stayed. That’s just the reality of playing at a higher level. Pace especially got a lot better after transferring to UC.

1 Like

Pace was MAC DPOY in his last year here and was dominating the MAC. He was certainly on target to get drafted even before he left. Don’t give UC credit they may not deserve.

2 Likes

First time in 58 years that a non-P5 player wasn’t drafted in the first round. Probably a slight aberration, but also a sign of how things are trending in college football.

3 Likes

But, an honorary Miami alum (my belief) goes high with Paris Johnson. I say this because he said he got into football mainly by watching Miami University football games with his dad. That’s a win for me!

1 Like

That’s because they are getting poached as soon as they are developed. And then the non Power 5 team gets no credit for developing them. And perhaps more importantly, the player who was developed at a non Power 5 team, likely will contribute less back to that school, if anything, when they are able to do so.

4 Likes

I don’t expect Ivan Pace to contribute to Miami. I think he probably always wanted to be a Bearcat and would have gone there if they had offered.

2 Likes

You tend to favor the school where you get your degree. Do we know if Ivan has graduated?

1 Like

First non-Power 5 draftee picked at #17 in Second Round (47) - OL from FCS NDSU…

First MAC player drafted is Sidy Sow, a Guard from EMU at #15 in the 4th Round - #117 overall.

First G5 pick is Second Round #24 - 55 overall - WR from SMU. Only 2 non-P5 draftees through two rounds compared to 12 last year.

Not looking good for Pace or Phelps. Only a handful of picks left