2023 Draft

Total of 7 MAC players taken in the fourth through seventh rounds. Nobody from Miami or anyone who ever played at Miami. Toledo player was Mr. Irrelevant.

One D2 player from Wingate taken plus an Ivy WR from Princeton by Cincy. Several FCS players taken.

MAC did ok in the latter rounds. Several players drafted.

I find the decision process in the last couple rounds of the draft fascinating. Even more fascinating, the grading by the CBS analysts.

I don’t begrudge Pace or Phelps for leaving. Maybe they make a few bucks. Likely not a ton but some NIL. But to Bluesman’s point, maybe it would have been the same relatively speaking if they stayed. Odd to say but this actually gives me hope.

I am not surprised that Pace didnt get drafted. It is the same reason he ended up at Miami to start. He is too short and too slow.

2 Likes

Maybe he was a great college player and that was the limit. No shame in that.

1 Like

Sure maybe Pace and Phelps got paid by UC and Kansas respectively. If they did, it is likely more than the NIL money they were getting at Miami. Pure guess by me at that. Perhaps both can catch on in the XFL or USFL. But the bottom line as far as the draft process, transferring did not improve their prospects.

4 Likes

Truth

6 Likes

Ivan Pace signed as UDFA to the Vikings.

2 Likes

Phelps reportedly going to sign as UDFA with the Browns.

2 Likes

Slightly off topic, but it’s amazing that Northwestern had 4 draft picks (one Top 10, one 2nd round) for such a lousy team.

3 Likes

I like this pick up. Mac could turn some heads in camp and maybe get a scout team opp.

I was surprised that Pace was not taken but I know about judging talent for the NFL.

1 Like

ESPN’s top UDFA list…two very familiar names close to the top of the list.

2 Likes

Toledo LB Dyontae Johnson: New York Giants

The New York Giants are signing Toledo linebacker Dyontae Johnson to a deal worth $175,000 guaranteed, according to Pelissero.

Johnson spent five seasons at Toledo. He posted three sacks, three pass breakups, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries, 109 tackles and eight tackles for a loss in 14 games last season.