2023 Coaching Carousel

It’s only about three hours drive from USC to Georgia State.

At 3am. On a Friday afternoon, it could take you 90 minutes to get outside the perimeter of Atlanta.

3 Likes

Much like the business climate changes pre Covid,Covid,post Covid.

WR coaching spot filled

https://x.com/mzenitz/status/1759578591019343917?s=46&t=Mwc894NmZi2sl3ixPUgjFA

2 Likes

Also, it appears Brechin will coach the LB’s this year, Blanton will move to Safeties.

Mitchell White, identical twin brother of the recently departed Miles, hired as CB Coach. Comes from Utah State and a few other random stints.

1 Like

Roy Roundtree, I hear he’s a bad muther…. “Watch your mouth”

1 Like

Here’s an article that does not paint a pretty picture of the current G5 landscape:

3 Likes

Solid article. I think most of us understand the emerging dynamics already. The big surprise to me is how big the gap in money is going to be between the B1G/SEC alliance and the Big12/ACC. That will eventually make G5 a third tier. I’m interested in how Toledo plans to stay in the fringe of the upper echelon.

1 Like

Unlike the rest of the MAC, Toledo is already participating in the NIL. Certainly nothing like the power conference schools, but enough to give them a significant edge over the rest of the MAC. I live on the edge of “Northwest Ohio” and listen to some local sports shows out of Lima. I have heard them discuss two things that involve UT NIL this year. One was that earlier this season at a women’s basketball game they gave cars to Sophia Wired ( first team all MAC last two years ) and Quinisha Lockett (MAC POY last season). The other was that last year they paid their star guard RJ Dennis $12,500 but this year he transferred to Baylor for $400,000. There is a reason why they are going for their second straight NCAA appearance in women’s basketball, their 4th straight men’s basketball regular season championship, and have played in the MAC football championship game two years in a row.

2 Likes

Yeah. That $388k pay increase you mention kind of keeps them in the same category as the rest of us.

1 Like

To be successful in the NIL games being played, Miami doesn’t really need to outspend/ compete with the likes of THE OSU…all they have to do is have “THE best NIL package/ program in the MAC.”

Right now, the leader in the MAC “clubhouse” looks to be Toledo. Assess their program…and top it by perhaps 20% and Miami will be more than competitive in its space.

4 Likes

Thats all I’ve ever clamoured for; is for Miami to be the best school in the MAC, and then build from there…

2 Likes

Chuck Martin said something a few months ago about how the P5 teams are only interested in his top 10-15 players. This actually gives us an inherit advantage because we wouldn’t have to pay every player like the p5 schools. So if we actually start an NIL collective, then we could focus on paying our top players the majority of the money.

If we were able to raise $1 million per year for NIL, we could allocate 75% to football and 25% to men’s basketball.

For football, our top 10 guys would all get $40k (each), next 10 get $20k, next 10 get $10k, next 10 get $5k. For basketball, top 2 get $50k, next 5 get $20k, next 5 get $10k.

In this scenario, all contributors would be getting paid in both sports and the all-league talents would be getting $40-50k. Our players love Chuck, so they might stay here even if they were offered more money somewhere else. But they aren’t going to stay here if they continue to receive $0.

I know most posters here don’t like NIL, which I understand and agree with. However, this is the new reality. We either play the game and try to compete for top talent or we continue to get passed by. Continuing to ignore NIL will only make the gap wider.

2 Likes

And then we brace for the Title IX law suit filed by our Softball and Field Hockey players.

Boosters can give to who they want. If the NIL wants to give to women, they are free to do so. Title 9 only applies to funds allocated by the school. NIL collectives are separate entities from the school.

How is (almost) every other school able to figure this out, but not Miami?

2 Likes

There will still be a law suit somewhere down the line filed by women athletes that will have to be defended. Who knows how it will be interpreted by the courts.

There is a lawsuit at Oregon filed by their beach volleyball team and some club rowers.

1 Like

I can see Oklahoma’s softball, UNC and Northwestern’s Field Hockey teams and several women’s hoops teams filing amicus briefs.