2023 Cincinnati Reds thread

Genius!

From what I’ve heard, they might just lift the local blackouts on MLB TV, which costs $130 per year for a single team and $150 a year for every team.

Not great news but good to hear that they already have some understanding in place with the major cable carriers to avoid a disruption. Being part owner probably helps with the sponsorship side as well.
Financially probably going to be a rough year for the books.

Cincinnati Reds: Hunter Greene signs 6-year, $53 million contract

Feels like a solid deal for both sides. Gets through arbitration plus possibly two years of free agency at a reasonable rate and leaves time on the back end of his career for the mega deal. Plus he will be a great “face” for the franchise.

Hopefully more of these to come.

1 Like

I guess they are seeing relief in site from being hamstrung by the Moustakas and Votto deals. Plus the Reds in general are “thrifty”. So nice to see them do something.

Hunter Greene is a far more common color than Hunter Teal. But here we go. They’re both going to appear in Southwest Ohio!

Today is May 31 and the hearing is being held today to decide the fate of the TV deals with 4 teams, including the Reds and Guardians. Just this week the Padres became the first team to lose their contract with a cable network ( $50 million a year, they got paid only the first third of the contract). MLB has been busy setting up coverage which they say will be an improved product and will not have any blackouts. It is unlikely that any of the teams will get as much income as they were previously, but it sounds like the coverage will be better and those with cable should probably get a new channel which will cover the games plus there might be a streaming option for those who do not have cable ( perhaps with a fee?). No later than Thursday we should know more. ESPN.com has several articles today.

1 Like

Elly time!
Cincinnati Reds on Twitter: “:rotating_light: ANNOUNCING ELLY DE LA CRUZ :rotating_light: Welcome to The Show, @ellylacocoa18​:bangbang: https://t.co/LcXKZcOLtk” / Twitter

1 Like

Not the official lineup for tonight, but Rotowire predicts De La Cruz to bat first and play 3B while Matt McLain will stay at SS and bat 2nd. They have India batting 3rd and playing DH ( he did hurt his leg running the bases last night). Newman is at 2B.

I am going with some friends on Thursday afternoon to see our 4th win in a row.

2 Likes

Here is a very different official lineup.

RF Fraley
SS McLain
2B India
3B De La Cruz
LF Steer
DH Stephenson
1B Newman
CF Fairchild
C Maile

2 Likes

That was fun.

3 Likes

This team is a fun one to watch. They seem to have a great approach to the game and there is no quit in them. As the young kids progress the next few years could be very special.

2 Likes

Top 6 in the lineup last night were 12/26. That lineup is posted above by Dick. 3 of those 6 players are true rookies.

3 Likes

And there’s still Encarnacion-Strand who is bludgeoning the ball in AAA (best OPS in International League). Gotta figure he’s called up in the next few weeks.

1 Like

Dick, are you going down for the game Thursday? I can’t wait to see De La Cruz in person!

And now the guessing game begins of when Votto returns this year

Lol, I didn’t think today could be more fun than yesterday.

Can he pitch?

Yeah, we were there. Smoke was not an issue. There was a big traffic jam with walk up fans, about double the size of the last afternoon game a couple of weeks ago. We did get to see Elly bat right handed, and he flew down the line to easily beat the throw on an infield single. We also saw his first stolen base. And McLain got two more hits and raised his average to over .350. But we got drilled 6-0. Ella struck out 3 times and that is going to be his big weakness.

2 Likes

I don’t feel like strikeouts are going to be that big of an issue. He’s been right at 30% at every level and had worked it down to 26% this year in AAA. Over a 500 PA season that puts him right around 150, where most power hitters are.

2 Likes