2022 Postseason Tournaments

I wonder if the recent MAC success in the NCAA Tournament had anything to do with Akron getting a 13-seed. In almost all computer rankings they were over 100 (127 in NET).

Sagarin “recent” rank had them 39 iirc, so they’d been playing well of late…which used to be something the committee considered.

1 Like

Akron’s D was awesome yesterday against UCLA. Sadly they lost close one. I think that makes them 0-5 in NCAAs as I recall the TV announcer saying they were 0-4 prior. They should have a very good returning team as I think their starting lineup on TV had no seniors if I recall correctly. They also only lost to OSU by 1 earlier in the season. They are well coached.

2 Likes

Ohio with a one point win over Rice. Will play Abilene Christian tonight.

I’ve always been a diehard Abilene Christian fan every since this morning.

7 Likes

I went to sleep in Shreveport, woke up in Abilene
Wonderin’ why the hell I’m wanted in some town halfway between

I TOLD YOU ALL THAT I LOVED THOSE DAMN CHRISTIANS!!! A-BI-LENE! A-BI-LENE!!!

4 Likes

Bonnie’s beat UVA by swatting away last second layup in NIT quarters. Jalen feeling his oats, shushing the crowd on a 3 pointer then waving goodbye after the buzzer.

1 Like

I watched the end of that game too. The Bonnies have won 3 straight power 5 road games to get to New York city.

1 Like

ALWAYS a great day when Duke loses! Will miss Coach K though.

What a great game!

2 Likes

What a conflicting way to look at things, lol. Coach K is Duke!

2 Likes

Also, has North Carolina yet been punished for the several hundred scholarship athletes from most of their sports that took a course where no one went to class?

3 Likes

NCAA let them off. Turns out the course was available to all students so they determined it was nor a violation.

A course in which no one actually went to class? Wouldn’t that be every course at every school in the spring of 2020?

1 Like

The NCAA investigation showed that 49% of the students who took no-show or auto A classes were athletes. Therefore, it was available to other students–who received no-show classes and A’s.
The NCAA ruling gave NC and any other school a template to violate the academic requirements of athletes and students. And I don’t think the 49% was an accident. Probably done to provide the cover they were given.
An outrageous ruling for a major academic fraud case. As the old joke said, the NCAA was so mad at Jerry Tarkanian at UNLV that they put Cleveland State on probation. And now, illegal payments are now called “NLI”.

1 Like

Dick…Actually, I’m sorry both teams reached the Final 4. Not a big fan of either school (see above).

1 Like

Yes - now we have the National Championship Violation game, where both teams are probably on double secret probation and the NCAA is so pissed that they are going to put both Memphis and SMU on probation.

3 Likes

That investigation of Carolina shows why there needs to be major reform in/of the NCAA. The fraud class offerings was a well organized and thought out plan. I read the findings a few years back and was stunned at the depth of the fraud. Well, maybe not stunned, perhaps another word or so would be better. One of my thoughts after reading the defense from Carolina was that if one of my basketball friends said “hey, I’m taking this course that doesn’t exist but I get credit for it”, I would have signed up for it immediately, of course others than basketball players got credit-duh.

1 Like

The Carolina thing should have had serious ramifications for their accreditation, since their defense was that it wasn’t an athlete-specific violation. They bet, sadly correctly, that the regional accreditation board wouldn’t touch them with a 39-and-a-half-foot pole.

1 Like

I think you guys are looking past the sheer hilarity of Mark Emmert potentially handing Bill Self a trophy tonight, and slapping him with a show cause in like 3 weeks.

(High mindedness aside, I actually really like watching both of these teams play and if both teams have a decent shooting night this could be an epic game).

2 Likes