2022 Coaching Search

Absolutely nothing. They didn’t recruit the same: Cooper went heavy on juco and transfers from the South, Owens was actually a solid recruiter and pulled from Indiana. They didn’t play the same style of offense. They didn’t play the same style of defense: Cooper played more zone and Owens went almost exclusively with a pressure man to man. Cooper came in from being the head coach at Tennessee State. Owens was a highly regarded assistant at Purdue. I’ll let @Redskin1989 share what he thinks they have in common. If his reference to Cooper 3.0 is Henderson, then there’s more explaining to be done.

3 Likes

Why does Xavier playing have anything to do with our coaching search? Steele is not employed by them.

2 Likes

Don’t take anything sack says seriously.

Maybe it’s next Wednesday?

1 Like

Whoa! I’m not making this stuff up! Now maybe my source should be in an asylum but I am a respected Big J journalist!

1 Like

Maybe there will be an April 1st announcement coming. Given it’s April Fool’s Day I hope it’s a wild outlier candidate no one ever expected.

1 Like

I thought the upside down smiley face would indicate that I didn’t.

Like someone else pointed out, maybe the X connection is not Steele.

I’m starting to feel like my ‘3rd assistant from Sacramento State’ reference was as informed as anyone else’s predictions on here. Soooo, let’s not count out Sam Kirby - Sacramento State Athletics

2 Likes

if an announcement is not made by tomorrow it will likely not occur until after Final Four. AD’s and basketball coaches will normally be in New Orleans.

New coaches typically use that time to help put together their staffs.

If so, we may have another week to go on this crazy thread.

Assuming Skins is correct and Jonah is the guy, you won’t hear about it until Friday at the earliest as the NIT championship is Thursday night.

1 Like

Agree with Lax, the focus of the college basketball world for the next several days is New Orleans. My hope is that the decisions been made and the new coach is already building a staff and working the transfer portal, regardless of when the announcement is.

4 Likes

All kinds of negotiating takes place in the lobbies and bars in the Coaches Association Conference hotel. I’ve had the opportunity to hang out in that environment twice - both at Seattle’s Westin Hotel. It’s an incredibly interesting place to be the proverbial fly in the wall.

2 Likes
8 Likes

Yeah if it is Steele you would think that they would want to announce before the final four weekend so he could get to work on staff and portal players. Not to read too much into it but if no announcement by tomorrow, maybe it’s not Steele after all.

1 Like

I’m assuming you chose a random coaching position but amusingly you chose a coach who played for and coached the Redhawks - just the Seattle U Redhawks

1 Like

This is the tweet of the day…perhaps the whole week.

1 Like

In true HawkTalk style, most of the guesses made here on the new coach will be shown to be wrong.

Kind of like the NCAA Tourney, 64++ teams all enter March Madness thinking “Golly, we only have to win six in a row to win the NCAA Championship…” and all but one team/ guess will also be wrong.

But it’s still fun…here’s all I know: It won’t be Owens and it won’t be Cooper (though, if the Weathers’ twins had some eligibility left, he might be in the mix). :innocent:

2 Likes

New theory: the AD is our new coach and is going to use any savings from not hiring a coach to start funding a Millett redo. Or, I was right about Nolan Richardson

1 Like