2022 Coaching Search

Yeah there are a lot of red flags with Fife. Would really prefer not to deal with that.

2 Likes

I heard the same thing when he was at IPFW, now PFW

1 Like

Yet it feels like destiny to me, not necessarily the good kind.

The delay in an announcement would sure leave me to conclude that although Steele may have been one of the top choices, maybe he wasn’t THE pre-ordained choice and Sayler is looking at a couple other options including Jermaine.

It’s Steele- presser planned for tomorrow.

5 Likes
1 Like

It was fun speculating and proves (to me) there’s passion for the program still. Even if only a small group.

1 Like

The best choice! Now hit that recruiting trail!

4 Likes

This.

I also think it would be a smart move to consider Jermaine for one of the positions on the staff.
I would be surprised if Sayler did not bring that subject up.

Sounds good but gotta first make sure that there is no lingering resentment over not getting the HC position.

1 Like

See: Fife, Dane

2 Likes

Jermaine isn’t coming to Miami to be an assistant, especially not as someone who went hard at the HC gig.

If Steele thinks he needs a Miami connection on the staff, I’m sure there are plenty of interested candidates around.

6 Likes

Yep. Right now recruiting is hopefully being done on multiple fronts. That includes recruiting staff members.

1 Like

What are the Miami names in the coaching game that may be interested in trying to bring back some of the alumni culture? From reading twitter, it seems like there is a rift from former players and the current athletic department. I’m guessing Steele will bring in his own guys, but just brainstorming if there are any Miami connect names that would maybe make sense for assistant coach in the MAC.

Names off the top of my head in the coaching game
Damon Frierson - Current Miami staff (non-bench coach)
James Whitford - just fired from Ball St (not an alum but long time Miami assistant)
Jason Grunkemeyer - HS coach in South Carolina now it looks like
Nathan Peavy - G League Coach (no idea what a G League coach makes and if this is a step down/up/lateral. I’m guessing it would be a step down/not interested)
Sean Mock - Tulane staff (not bench position)
Chet Mason - HS coach in Ohio (likely not interested?)
Nate Vandersluis - HS coach in Ohio
A certain MHT poster - HS coach in NJ (this is obviously the clear hire, MHT poster is highest qualification)

Any other names in the game?

Chris Thomas, who isn’t an alum (he went to UD), but was an admin/assistant from 05-07. He went on to be a NBA scout and a head coach at some teams overseas, and now he’s an assistant with the Raptors G League team.

1 Like

Do you have knowledge that Jermaine really believed he was in the hunt for the HC job other than the tweets of some friends?

Everything about this lines up that Steele became the candidate for Sayler as soon as he was fired from X. Owens was not fired until after that occurred.This looks to have been wired from the get go.

Steele might not want anything to do with Jermaine. However, the fact is that Jermaine is out of a job, he has a wife (pregnant?) in Akron and he probably needs the money. This would not appear to a time to be choosey if someone asked if he might be interested in an assistant position. He is also would be a better choice than anyone else on your list for a number of reasons if Steele wants a Miami connection on his staff.

Carl Richburg - Director of Recruiting at Marquette

4 Likes

DICK for #1 assistant IMO

1 Like

I like him (Richburg) as a good add by Steele…bring him back home.

Nice…I think this makes sense for new perspective and potential big time shift in recruiting.