2021-22 Basketball Coaching Carousel

only there 3 seasons, going 29-50 during that span. They had their best Atlantic 10 campaign this season, going 8-9 in the league

Very weird firing. They were devastated by covid last season (only played 8 conference games) and they had improved all three seasons he was there. He inherited a team that had gone 4-14 in conference play the year prior.

Whitford fired at Ball State

Frank Martin out at South Carolina.

You awake, DS?

1 Like

Wow. If we ever had a coach make the final 4, they’d have a job for life and a statue next to Wayne. And they fired him.

I don’t even know if that’s the case - look at how we fired Rico less than a decade removed from two Frozen Four runs. It’s a much different scale in basketball but if we ever had a coach make a Final Four appearance, they weren’t hired away somehow, and they followed it up with four or five finishes in the bottom third of the MAC then we’d be itching for a change.

1 Like

Doh. I totally forgot about Uncle Rico and our run to the national championship game when I wrote that. You are correct.

1 Like

Why do NU fans deserve a statement and we deserve silence?

6 Likes

I love how NU plays. Big Ten is solid and NU sucks, but not quite like we do. Good call NU

All we can hope Owens broke an NCAA rule like LSU did is the only way we can fire Owens but Owens needs fired

1 Like

Exactly. Even if it’s just some boilerplate social media post like “Thank you to the fans for your support this season, Coach Owens and the team appreciate your continued support in the year to come” or something like that. Instead there’s nothing.

2 Likes

Well said, Qburger. I follow the A-10 closely, and I’m really stunned by this firing. He seemed to have the team headed in the right direction, and had brought in some really good players. It makes me wonder if he had some kind of personality conflict with the AD.

Speculation on Ball State job. A Ray McCallum sighting!

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/ball-state/2022/03/15/potential-bsu-mens-basketball-head-coach-candidates/7046413001/

Travis Steele out at Xavier. “BREAKING: Xavier and head coach Travis Steele have mutually agreed to part ways effective immediately. Xavier will start a national coaching search immediately.”

Strange to dismiss Steele in the middle of the NIT.

Is this due to the fact that X is worried that the coach they want might take another job before its season is over?

Pat Kelsey has been mentioned for South Carolina.

He would have to be on X’s short list.

Sean Miller has also been mentioned for USC. Harder to see Miller going back to X.

Mack heading back to X is my prediction. In the words of Braniff airlines, “Believe it!”

1 Like

That’s possible…Steele to Miami of Oxford

3 Likes

I would take Steele in a second. He’s young and they were just a few breaks away from being really good. Bad move to dump him, but no show in 4 years is a deal breaker when all your school has is b-ball

But would Steele take Miami? That’s the $450,000 question…see what I did there?

1 Like

Oh I see. I see!

2 Likes