2019 G Morgan Safford (Miami Commit)

Miami lands transfer 6-5 G Morgan Safford from Wofford. Originally from Bishop Hartley HS (Columbus)

Per prephoops, was ranked the #24 player in Ohio for 2019 and the #4 SF in Ohio.

started 21 of 30 games for Wofford and averaged 6.5 points per game (was 6th leading scorer for Wofford). Shot 30% from 3 and 39% from the field. Shot 56% from the FT line

TWITTER

2019-20 Redshirt

2020-21 Started 22 of 23 games played in … Named to Southern Conference All-Freshman Team (coaches & media) … Averaged 9.3 points and 4.4 rebounds in 27.5 minutes per game … Finished among top three freshmen in SoCon in scoring … Third on team in rebounding … Fourth on team in scoring … Shot 33.0 percent from 3-point range (34-for-103) … Reached double figures in 11 games … Recorded 10 points and five rebounds in Wofford debut against Toccoa Falls (11/25) … Net a career-high 21 points on 7-of-15 shooting (.467), including career-high four threes, and four rebounds against Coastal Carolina (12/15) … Added 14 points on 4-of-5 from deep range versus Samford (1/2) … Dropped 19 points and grabbed a career-high seven rebounds at Chattanooga (1/16) … Added 15 points, including 5-for-5 from the free-throw line, and five rebounds versus Western Carolina (1/23) … Tallied 18 points on 6-of-12 shooting (50%) and a career-high 6-for-8 (.750) from the charity stripe against Chattanooga (2/10) … Recorded 12 points and game-winning layup against Furman on Senior Day (2/27).

2021-22 Started 21 of 30 games played … Averaged 6.5 points and 3.4 rebounds in 28.3 mins/g … Shot 30.3 percent from 3-point range (33-for-109) … Recorded 39 assists and 26 steals … Notched double figures in seven games … Recorded season-high 17 points against No. 4 VMI in SoCon Quarterfinals (3/5) … Added 14 points versus No. 1 Chattanooga in SoCon Semis (3/6).

4 Likes

Very cool!

Heck of a freshman year.

I am super intrigued to watch how Steele puts the team together, and eager to watch Miami hoops for the first time in years.

3 Likes

Me too!

Put him on the free throw line all summer. Get that percentage up!

Sounds like a good get but I was wondering about that free throw shooting percentage…not sure I ever saw a guard/ small forward with such a poor percentage.

1 Like

You haven’t watched Miami basketball in the last four years? Milos Jovic 6’4" guard. 47%

2 Likes

Safford had a good freshman year, but regressed as a sophomore (based on stats). Curious what happened. On a positive note on his sophomore season, his two best games were probably the two conference tournament games, so maybe he’s poised for a big year with a change of scenery.

The fit is also interesting. I think most of us believed the final 2 scholarships should be one big and one guard capable of playing the point. Safford doesn’t address either of those.

My guess is we have 3 true positions on the floor. PG, WG, and F. Forward will be Mirambeaux, Rylee, Harrison, and Morris. PG will be Avance and Lairy. The other 6 will be able to move across any of the remaining spots.

That said, Safford spent time playing point guard and is described as a combo guard.

1 Like

Man that is bad, Jive. Even our poorly coordinated 6-6 high school center hit about half his free throws.

Started 21 games as a rs frosh. All-conference freshman team. #6 sf in Ohio as a senior. Excelled in Southern Conference playoffs.

Everyone: BUT THAT FREE THROW SHOOTING!!!:weary::weary::weary:

Fire Steele.

3 Likes

I am underwhelmed but our 3 transfer portal guys. Nothing wrong with any of them, they should all help us. I am just comparing to them to guys that Toledo, Ohio, Kent, Buffalo,and Akron have brought in the past few years. Those are the teams we have to beat. Last year Kent brought in an All A-10 guard and he ended up the MAC POY. Two years ago Ohio brought in a powerful 6-9 center who was the second best player on an OU team which beat Virginia in the NCAA tourney. A few years ago Toledo brought in a 6-5 forward who if I remember correctly, was the MAC POY. Buffalo brought in a 6-7 power forward who just dominated against us. All 4 of these school have been bringing in guys pretty much every season that are starters from the get go and real difference makers.

The guys we brought in have 2 or 3 years of eligibility, so maybe the staff thinks they could develop into stars. I would guess they are more on the level of Kamari Williams last year, a good player who worked his way into the starting lineup, but not the level of player that the top 5 MAC programs have been bringing in regularly. Immediate major impact guys.

Now I am very impressed with the two freshmen recruits this staff has recruited, either or both of those guys could become stars.

3 Likes

Those programs have been generally steering their programs in a positive direction the past 10 years. Miami has been wallowing. Hopefully Steele is thr one to turn us around.

2 Likes

Steele doing all the right things. Much better times ahead.

3 Likes

Lovin’ this guy.

4 Likes

Could the swag be back in Miami bball? Been about that long since we were good :wink:

2 Likes

He’s really funny and has the game to back it up. This is gonna be a lot more enjoyable to watch.

2 Likes