When it rains it pours - Northwestern!

Not exactly, original plan was to demolish the current Ryan Field after this season and play 2024-25 off campus (likely Soldier Field but not officially announced). They’d spend that time building the new one (35K seats for $800 million cost) and then move in 2026. They were having issues getting neighborhood approval since NU was proposing more concerts than currently, but it’s indefinitely on hold with all the controversy now (and the lead benefactor is likely pulling out over how it’s been handled).

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying. I would assume the serious multi-sport scandals at a school like Northwestern would create a period of intense introspection. Not surprised going forward on a major expenditure for FBS Big10 football might be in a holding pattern.

1 Like

Is the Big 10 network still based in Chicagoland?

It is.

Nah, they’ll get it worked out. Northwestern needs a new stadium and needs those luxury boxes. It’s well past time.

1 Like

NYU has basketball and has for years. They play Div. 3 in the UAA, one of the best D3 hoops conferences. Also, a conference that rivals the Ivy League academically. I go to a lot of Washington University hoops games, (my law school alma mater) and have seen NYU several times.

1 Like

Yeah. I forgot they came back as a D3 in that conference - one of the country’s two or three top academic conferences. The Violets never tried to restart a D1 program after the scandal.

1 Like

Rain storm may be heading east towards Oxford

Ramon Diaz is filing a lawsuit against the school. He says several Northwestern coaches witnessed hazing incidents or should have been aware of them. The lawsuit claims that two former assistants – Ingalls and James Patton, who also coached the offensive line – made “racist, embarrassing, degrading, and harassing remarks” toward Diaz and other players. According to the lawsuit, Ingalls and Matt MacPherson, a longtime Northwestern assistant still with the program, witnessed hazing incidents and “took no action to address and/or prevent” them from happening.

Diaz’s lawsuit also alleges that Adam Cushing, Northwestern’s tight ends coach at the time, should have been aware of the hazing and mistreatment.

MacPherson, Northwestern’s defensive backs coach and associate head coach, has been mentioned in other lawsuits and is being investigated by the school.

Patton, who left Northwestern after Diaz’s freshman year in 2005, is the offensive line coach at Miami (Ohio)