What is our goal?

We’ve made the MACC in each of the last three seasons, winning it once. We’ve been to a bowl game in four straight seasons (five of six, and the only year we missed was the COVID year).

Maybe I’m spoiled, but making the MAC Championship and appearing in a bowl game isn’t as exciting as it used to be. This is especially the case for the latter, as now more teams get into a bowl than don’t. For decades, a bowl appearance was the Holy Grail as there were so few. You essentially had to win the MAC. We had a stretch of 11 seasons from 1995-2005 where we finished over .500 ever year and made just ONE bowl game, and that team was was led by a future NFL HOFer.

We were never going to be relevant in the BCS, and that was fine; few teams were. Then came the CFP with 4 teams, then 8, and now 12. The CFP is the ultimate goal for many schools, yet no MAC team has ever made it. I’m not saying that should be our goal, as it’s quite lofty.

What IS our goal, then? What are we shooting for year after year? Outside of the 2023 season when we went 11-3 while beating (an albeit 3-9) UC and a nationally ranked Toledo in the MACC, even our run of success with Chuck has been rather blah. Don’t get me wrong, I do think it’s time to move on from him, but to what? I keep hearing about needing a coach to get us to the “next level.” The next level is the CFP, and I don’t even think Nick Saban could get us there.

I’ll ask again, what is our goal? It’s simpler for basketball: consistently be a contender to make the NCAA Tournament and occasionally win a game or two once there. This, of course, won’t be easy, but it seems more attainable than gunning for a spot in the CFP. I know hoops’ success is very recent, though the future looks bright. Football is spinning it’s wheels in the mud, and I don’t really know what we want to see this program attain. Would another decade of 7-5, bowl games, and MAC title opportunities be satisfying to everyone?

Again, maybe I’m just spoiled.

I think our goal appears to be to raise football to the level of an AAC bid and eventually a watered down ACC

I think for now that means winning 9-10 games a year and competing with bottom level p4 teams and the top of the G6

In the AAC you do have a chance to make the playoff and you will be ranked if you are 10-2 and played a good non conference

I would say I am not bored with winning the MAC. Our MAC title victories were very fun games to attend and celebrate

Bowl games can be cool too. The first Arizona Bowl was awesome

2 Likes

THIS Season a Bowl Game is the best to hope for

2 Likes

I think it is to get into a better conference. Love the MAC, but unquestionably it’s in trouble.

2 Likes

The goal I would have for the team:

Beating UC every 3 years, preferably every other year at a minimum

Minimum of 9 wins per year (regular season)

Conference Champion at least every other year

Beating bottom half of P4 and top G6 teams

Winning record for OOC games

If we do those things, then we look appealing to an AAC or realigned ACC.

4 Likes

Hard to beat UC with no games scheduled

1 Like

You really think the AAC teams have a better chance chance to make the playoff than a MAC team?

I mean considering an AAC team made it last year and a MAC team never has I’d say yes.

3 Likes

Could always go the Boise route where over half the total raised in a multi-year, university-wide fundraising campaign was earmarked for the AD.

Ummm yes

The colley matrix, an official NCAA champion selector, has the conferences rated like this. Yes the AAC would be a massive upgrade

1 Like

OUR GOAL SHOULD BE VERY SIMPLE: WIN!

3 Likes

That has the B12 over the B10, so that right there tells you that algorithm is significantly broken.

Big ten has some bad bottom feeders (see Rutgers) bringing it down

I have mentioned this elsewhere, but her it goes again:

The vision: Miami is recognized as the premiere G6 overall athletic program in America.

Key measures:

  1. We are consistently ranked in the top 10 nationally among G6 schools in each of the sports in which we compete.
  2. We are consistently in the top 5% of all d1 schools in graduation rates of our athletes.
  3. We are members of a conference that is recognized as the premiere G6 conference in the nation. This may be an existing conference, or a new one yet to be assembled. Some sports may need to be adjunct members or other conferences to meet the “premiere” requirement (men’s hockey, for example).
  4. We win the all-sports trophies, in both men and women sports, at least once every three years (not necessarily men and women at the same time) in that conference.

Very much so