What happened to women’s volleyball

I sometimes check the other sports scores of Miami teams and I’m shocked at how volleyball is performing this year. I say that with high respect for the historical success of that program. I’m pretty sure they were top 25 in the country when I was at MU, were consistently in the NCAA tourney, and always had wins against big teams. Never had trouble dismantling the local foes. This year, every time I check the scores, we’ve lost. Hope it’s a blip on the radar. I like what coach C has done by and large.

By and large? The woman is a legend.

2 Likes

We agree to agree. Just wondering why the results have cratered.

2 Likes

Me, too. Have watched a couple times but not qualified to question–except for result. No intention to be critical.

1 Like

Yeah, coach C is fantastic and has consistently put a great product on the floor. That’s the reason I am surprised by the results this year. I love Bob Huggins and felt the same about last years WVU results. Certainly doesn’t diminish the overall respect.

We just had a streak of 4 straight years where we either won the regular season or the MAC tournament. However, all those girls have graduated and now we look like one of the least talented teams in the MAC. So the last few recruting classes have not worked out?

1 Like

That’s what I was wondering. Where you tend to notice it is in the local rivalry games. We lost to UC and X and quite possibly NKU (although I’d have to check the schedule to see if I’m not imagining that result.) And a bunch of MAC schools. That wouldn’t have happened in the past.

Edit: wasn’t NKU, it was Orville and Wilber State University. Also saw we have only beaten one MAC team. Good grief!

Very young roster. Some very nice athletes that just need to adjust to college VB. The freshman setter is going be very good.

3 Likes

That’s good to hear. Typically they are so solid and beat loads of good out of conference foes. This year was a bit out of the pattern.

Great Hire for RedHawk Volleyball. Brianna will help with one of their biggest issues last year (1st Touch). She was a very good libero in her playing days and knows how to teach. Great addition Coach

2 Likes

For those unaware of what @VBFAN is talking about, Miami just announced the hire of Brianna McCombs as an assistant. She played for MTSU and Lipscomb (and was ASUN defensive player of the year at Lipscomb) and has been a club team head coach and an assistant at OU and Jacksonville (not to be confused with Jacksonville State).

1 Like

Volleyball team drops to 4-15. They have not won a single MAC game. They have not won a single home game. After having 4 consecutive seasons with either a tournament or a regular season championship this is the third year in a row we have been pretty bad. Coach Condit is in the top ten all time in NCAA victories. What should David Saylor do, if anything?

It’s not been so hot. Both volleyball and soccer are in the tank. Might be time for some change. Both teams should win the MAC and be in the top 50-75 programs. Or better if they get hot. Bummer.

1 Like

Maybe volleyball and soccer should switch coaches.

Carolyn Condit is a Miami and MAC legend, but everyone has their time. Unfortunately it might be hers.

1 Like

I was at MU during a run where she had top
25 teams and all my friends and I used to go watch them play. Volleyball drew a big crowd. We always beat the local teams and would beat at least one P5 team each year.

1 Like

Like all sports, it’s recruiting. Usually falls off first leading to the demise of the program. Seems like it’s happening. X2

2 Likes

I bet you are right.

Well he could increase the pay for her assistants so she isn’t replacing 1/3 of her coaching staff every other year. Then he should be patient and let a couple players who have missed all kinds of time due t injuries come back, and let youth (only 2 seniors, mostly sophomores and freshmen) learn to play at this level. All be will fine. 40 years and 677 wins should have people just taking a wait and see.

2 Likes

Replacing 1/3 of a coaching staff every 2 years is not a lot of turnover in college sports.