WHAT A YEAR!

WE BEAT UC! WE BEAT OU! WE WON THE MAC EAST! WE BEAT A TOP 25 TEAM! WE WON THE MAC CHAMPIONSHIP!! WHAT A FUCKING YEAR!!

22 Likes

And we’ve still got a bowl game to win!

3 Likes

…and a top 25 finish maybe as well w that bowl win!

3 Likes

It really doesn’t get much better. What a great season. So proud

2 Likes

Now let’s go get our damn trophy!

5 Likes

This is my favorite Miami team ever (only been a fan since 2012 but still). Very, very few teams have the kind of grit and tenacity of this one, and I couldn’t be prouder of everyone involved with the program. OSU can take the first 75 picks at recess, but I’ll take a win during championship weekend instead.

5 Likes

Maybe the (other) old timers can chime in-this is the best season I’ve seen from a Miami defense.

3 Likes

I loved the sign that read “Real OHIO schools win in Michigan.”

Granted, an Ohio school was guaranteed to win in Detroit today but still…

Wherever he is today, I hope Doug Costin takes a moment to mock the O-H-I-O gesture.

6 Likes

Now that we ARE MAC champs, what would be the best MAC bowl slot that we should expect? I am guessing that it should improve our chances of an attractive match up which is obviously greatly including ESPN.

Right up there, Digital, but the 1973 squad’s D may have been our best ever…gave up 161.3 yards a game (total yards), 1.8 yards per rushing attempt, and gave up just 77 points in 11 games, just under 7 points a game. Stuffed a 7-4 Florida team (that went to the Orange Bowl the following year) 16-7 in the Tangerine Bowl.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s probably those mid 70’s defenses at the top, but that was before my time. The 2003 defense had all kinds of speed at LB and in the secondary, but I think the 2023 DL is better than the 2003 group.

1 Like

In the post 1975 era this is the best Miami D as far as points allowed.

And won two non-conf FBS games. And potentially three!

3 Likes

You can’t really compare teams from different eras. Bo said the Sun Bowl and Salad Bowl teams looked like “very competent high school teams” of the early 80s. The 1973-75 teams dominated in their era but the players were probably 2/3 as big and 80% as fast as the 2003 team and there would be even a bigger contrast in size and speed with this year’s team.

2 Likes

Bingo.
I saw every game in the '73 and '74 seasons, including the bowl games. It’s very difficult to compare eras. Linebackers in the '70s would be playing cornerback today. Let’s just say defenses of the seventies were great for their times as was the defense this year.

4 Likes

That’s why the only comparison that is somewhat valid is to consider how those teams performed against their era competitors vs. how a present day Miami team did against theirs.

Even then, it’s just a highly speculative discussion since the modern college game is so much more wide open w more passing and scoring.

All that said, let’s just “enjoy the ride!”

3 Likes

And that is why I said”post 1975”.

1 Like

Gotcha, Blues…I was more responding to 75 Redskins post above.

1 Like

11-2. Beat UC. Beat OU. Won our last 5 games with our #2 QB. It was already an excellent year. With today’s win, this is an outstanding year.

1 Like

Had Brett not been hurt and we managed to beat UT at home (and win the next four with more style points) how close we would be to the NY6 bid? Liberty may get it with a dead last SOS, our theoretical 12-1 record with the lone loss to a decent P5 team and win against a P5 team would be a solid case (much better than Toledo’s would’ve been if they won today).

5 Likes