What a schedule!

This fall’s field hockey schedule is out. It’s impressive! Opening at home with Cal this Friday. Play matches on the road at both Harvard and Brown. Play 5 B1G teams and UVA. That might be the most national schedule ever played by any Miami team in any sport.

2 Likes

Not so. One year men’s tennis had: Ohio State, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan State, Illinois, Northwestern, and we played a bunch of SEC schools on spring break. I’m gonna go back and check the old schedule. Was like 1995 or 1996. We beat a lot of the Big 10 that year. My memory may be combining 1-2 teams over seasons. I’ll check!

Edit: 1995: It was everything I remembered and more! We also played Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Louisville, Vanderbilt, Florida, Tennessee, and Miami. That year, we had wins over: (Iowa, Purdue, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State, Louisville, Indiana, Miami Florida and lost by a match against (Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Northwestern). Swept the Mac though. And we beat Cincinnati but they stunk.

5 Likes

Not quite the schedule, but what a record! (Craig’s Senior year - 79).

3 Likes

A win over Kentucky is epic. And UVA. We almost beat Kentucky my senior year when they were very highly ranked. (So that Dr. Jive doesn’t get mad at me, I gotta get this back on topic.) I really admire what Field Hockey is doing as this schedule is great. Just a tremendous example of what’s possible at Miami. I could see this being a top 10 program at some point. The landscape seems perfect for our brand to do well.

3 Likes

Hopefully will get to the point where Miami is to field hockey as Gonzaga is to MBB

3 Likes

I say any team we have that can make the school look good is a good team to have. Hope these ladies kick serious butt this year.

3 Likes

Only if our field hockey coaches stick around like Mark Few!

3 Likes

Where/who the hell is Morris Harvey??

1 Like

I can answer that. It used to be a private college on the south bank of the Kanawha River in Charleston. Played NAIA hoops. When it started to go bankrupt it was absorbed into the University of Charleston. Charleston now plays D2 sports.

2 Likes

I thought we’d dropped mens tennis way before that. Maybe not. Great schedule and stellar results.didn’t do north east or west coast but covered a lot of name brand schools.

1 Like

We played Arkansas Little Rock that year as well. I forgot to add earlier. And Tennessee. Not a lot of West Coast teams. Didn’t matter because Illinois was national champs and not long after we dropped the program OSU was. We always beat them. Team was disbanded in 99? I think?

3 Likes

Who is John Galt.

2 Likes

I have been saying for years that Miami should be exceptional in all women’s sports. Fancy skating, diving now field hockey. Volleyball, tennis, pickleball. Whoops, got carried away.

4 Likes

Three of last year’s top ten in RPI. Five of last year’s top twenty-five. This is a murderer’s row schedule that, if we succeed OOC and win the MAC again, will absolutely get us a first-round tournament game, hopefully with good seeding. (And, if we succeed in OOC, win the regular season MAC crown, but lose the MAC tournament, may get us an unheard-of-for-the-MAC at-large bid.)

Miami - with all its preppiness - has always seemed like a perfect tennis, golf and LAX school. Not so much, except for golf - where we’ve struggled mightily the past few years.strange. -

1 Like

As Eddie is recalling, all through the 70’s Miami was a powerhouse MAC men tennis program.

4 Likes

It was through the 80’s and then 90s (4 time MAC champs) until disbandment. Which is why I’m so excited about Field Hockey. I always hoped mens tennis could be a sustainable top program. Not to be anymore. But Field Hockey can! And can likely go farther because of more scholarships. They are the one consistent top 25 team we have at Miami in a sport many schools carry. (Synchro skating is fantastic, just not common). Softball is getting there. Prolly consistently top 50 soon but has a lot of tough outs as every school has a program. After that, I’d be hard pressed to name another team that’s there. Dark horse might be one of the track squads. The head coach has it together. Women’s tennis has gotten into the 60’s before. If they had a run maybe them?

2 Likes

A classmate of mine from Centerville - Bill Frazier - played for Miami from 67-71. I think I remember them being pretty good then. He became a pro at a big Chicago area club after graduation.

1 Like

There’s actually only about 80 schools with field hockey, so it’s not that common. But it’s been great to see the consistent success and tournament berths.

2 Likes

After 3 periods, Miami leads Cal 3 to 0.
Miami has looked good.

3 Likes