We can’t win with aveon

If Aveon is the QB1 next year, cool! I’d rather win ugly than lose pretty. Those that say that QB Wins is a flawed stat must not have a QB who wins. I like winning. Winning rocks.

4 Likes

I think the special teams units and defense were more responsible for the last few wins than our QB play.

3 Likes

I’ve been an AV detractor because of his passing and not sure i’m out of the woods yet but…yesterday I think he had about 40+ yards of passes dropped that should have been caught. Add about 45 more called back by holding. Add them in and that would make for a decent enough stat line.

Are there better passers out there? Sure. That said right now he’s the man so be happy he’s here. He’s won some big ones hasn’t he?

Next year do we bring in someone to compete? That’s an easy yes. That goes for every position on the team.

Ye-Ha we’re effin MAC CHAMPS!!! How many of you really thought that was going to happen yesterday morning?

Honestly? I was really confident heading into this game. The D & ST units give us such a wide advantage compared to our conference foes. Plus, the fact that we absolutely shut down Toledo in the 2nd half in October (I think they had 63 total yards in that second half) showed we could adjust and control their offense.

I figured we would win if we hit 20 points. It turns out we didn’t even need that many.

3 Likes

Ballcoach, you are absolutely right. The special teams and defense were what sets this team apart.

But, for this team, I think Aveon’s style of play works well. There are many out there that throw a better ball but Miami and Aveon had no turnovers and allowed the team to play to it’s strengths. To be successful almost all other quartebacks would require play calling that would inevitability result in some turnovers that would put our defense in a difficult position.

2 Likes

In Chuck’s first year we had QB Andrew Hendrix at the helm. At the time I felt that while Andrew was almost certainly not one of the 10 best college QBs I doubted there were 10 QBs who could have done a better job with that team as it was constituted.

The situation with Aveon is simmilar in that I believe everything he can do and the play calling it both allows and dictates translates to success much more than most posters are willing to concede.

2 Likes

I agree. I just hope AV can get his passing skills up to par for next year. Maybe a year with Gus will help him in that respect. If not, we are putting tremendous pressure on special teams and defense.

1 Like

I forgot about Hendrix.

I know he was only here one year and, if I recall correctly, we only won two games but I thought he was outstanding.

We had little running game and he was perpetually unde pressure but he he avoided a lot of turnoverrs and made enough plays to keep us in almost every game.

I believe a lot of “better” QBs would have had worse outcomes with that team that year

3 Likes

Hendrix would have been a star had he played on this MU team (and frankly almost any in the last 5 years.) Seems to me it’s the P5 dudes that are buried at good schools who come in and have a real chance at the G5’s. Amos is a great example. What a miss by U of SC for not developing him.

5 Likes

That happens at every level. Certainly lots of G5 players that never get on the field either. See Henry Hesson as example. Poor kid will likely never get an opportunity. Such is life.

2 Likes

Aveon throws a lot better than Tebow!

Ball Coach is absolutely right re QB analysis - any objective analysis would reach the same conclusion. We had 6 pass completions yesterday and on a number of occasions open receivers were not recognized. That said congrats to AV , Matt S, Amos, Graham and the entire team and esp the ST and D line and LB play - and their coaches. This team has great chemistry and AV is certainly important part of it - Brett Gabbert should also not be forgotten -seeing him on the sidelines with the team yesterday, taking part in the coin toss and most importantly talking with AV during the game says a lot about this team. My continuing concern is the O play calling and our inability to play man pass defense esp inside our own 20. We absolutely need to simplify the passing game for AV, why we do not use our TE’s ( yes I know Bolden caught a pass yesterday on a broken play ) or roll AV out for drag patterns and short curl passes etc makes no common sense. Why we can’t or won’t play tight man D pass coverage inside our 20 also quite concerning. That said today I continue to feel the best I have in years about Miami football and lets continue to celebrate our 11 win season and get another W in our bowl game.

1 Like

2023 RedHawks w/ Aveon = 2000 Baltimore Ravens w/ Trent Dilfer. Their success - like ours - was driven by defense and special teams, along with a solid running game. Dilfer had almost no impact on their victories, and he did just what he was supposed to…hand off to Lewis and Holmes and don’t turn the ball over. Yes, Aveon was a part of a great back half of the season, but Miami didn’t win those games because of him. It was a combination of great defense, incredible special teams, good running, and some luck (Ball State snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in that one). Sadly, I believe if Brett had stayed healthy, Miami would have finished 12-1, been ranked, and had a historical season (up there with 2003 and 1973-75) w/ the potential of playing on New Year’s Day. Oh well, it still turned out pretty damn good!

2 Likes

Trent Dilfer a good analogy

You never know. I could see him playing in our next game.

One big difference: Dilfer never needed to make an important play (or two) in the closing minutes to win a game down the stretch for the 2000 Ravens. Aveon has done that for Miami.

2 Likes

Both were dynamic runners too

1 Like

He was throwing pregame, on the sideline and between the halves yesterday…ready to come in if needed. Thats his role right now.

None of us actually know which if any of Miami’s players might enter the Portal tomorrow, Monday December 4 and how that affects who starts & plays in the bowl game!

4 Likes